Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

FZ1 enthusiasts have been waiting for an updated version of their favored sport-touring bike but is the FZ-10 the answer to their prayers?

Based on the R1, it has more than enough power to satisfy the sport portion of their needs with a liquid cooled 998cc Inline-Four engine. Sure the FZ-10 has been detuned but you’ll still be getting 160.4 horsepower out of it and a peak torque of 81.8 lbs-ft. When the power is delivered makes it more street friendly too with peak power coming in at 11,500 rpm and 9,000 rpm for peak torque.

What may turn loyal FZ1 owners away is the FZ-10’s design. Both FZ models were created to be affordable and fun in order to attract a younger demographic but, by having the FZ-10’s design concentrate more on this aspect, Yamaha risks turning away the older FZ1 crowd. According to Jensen Beeler from asphaltandrubber.com, the “R1-derived street bike is probably more at home in the Michael Bay Transformers franchise, than it would be in the garage of current FZ-1 owner.”

Maybe a different packaging for that R1 engine and chassis is just what Yamaha needs. AD Koncept has come up with a few concept drawings that stays true to the FZ1 heritage and they’ve come out with a more retro design too.

Something like this shouldn’t be too hard for Yamaha, they just need to repackage the MT-10/FZ-10 engine and chassis to suit different riders like they’ve already done for the MT-09/FZ-09. Or maybe the FZ-10 will be enough to draw in those FZ1 fans.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think there were recent reports somewhere talking about how there's an increase in riders, so yes they might lose the older crowd but at the same time they have all these new guys getting involved. It's something that might show in sales. To us, we might see that play into how they market the bikes since they will have done market research to know who they're targeting.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have owned five FZ'S now. With the first GENI being my favorite. When I stop to pull over at my favorite bike places where mostly sport bike,naked bike,duel sport riders hang out and if there are older pre 2017 FZ riders there , they will usually check out my FZ10 and ask questions of course.It also helps when you tell them that you have owned previous FZ's and can make a comparison. Biggest one for me of course is the feel and sound of the cross plane engine over the regular inline FZ's. Biggest thing I mostly hear previous gen FZ owners always talk about is lighter weight and better syspension for handeling,ect. The touring part I believe is a smaller percent of owners?

I get so far 98% of positive attitude from pre 2017 FZ owners on the new kid in town. looks, well they grow on you fast. **** I get people getting out of pickups and suv's checking out my FZ10.

Now what I have observed so far is this. The owners of ktm,ducks,bmw's,aprilas are the least likeliest to check out the new FZ10? Why I don't know. But it sure does feel very similar when I park my Raider next to a bunch of hardleys,victorys and now indian's. Mostly the SHUNN! LOL. Its tough being the new jap bike on the block,LOL.

By the way, ill take that yellow paint job on the first pic any day of the week for my FZ10. Just love the Kenny Roberts paint.:wink2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually sent a letter to yamaha asking for a fz-10 variant that was in line with what KTM did with the super duke gt. Basically a stripped down sport touring missile with hard bags and a half fairing. They were even kind enough to respond. I certainly don't expect for my wish to come true, but at least the suggestion is out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts