Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the passion for motorcycles brings together people from all walks of life, I am always curious about what people do for a living. Are you doing what you love, or just making a living?

My back ground is in the semiconductor piping industry. I am a Journeyman Pipefitter, Welder(Orbital, GTAW, FCAW), and a Certified Welding Inspector through the AWS. I loved this, and was pretty darn good at it...

I currently "gave up" that part of my career for now, since it kept taking me further away from home. My last project was 3.5 years in Phoenix, away from the wife . I am a Dad now, and I want to be a big part of my sons life, so I am now doing facility maintenance at our local Intel site to stay home. Not my cup of tea, but it works better for the family.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Used to work as a manager for customer tech support at Apple. Retired now for the most part. When I was working it was a great place to be and I loved it. Unfortunately under Tim Cook that has changed and people that I have spoken to lately have told me to be glad I am no longer there.

Sad really since it was always like a big family environment there. Got to be part of quite a few projects though. Helped launch the iPod and iPhone from the very start, created and trained support teams for the AppleTV and the Airport Extreme and Express products, worked in the IT department at the end of my time there.

Was a great place to be at one time. You'd think I would be riding more but running a household has it's challenges too since my Wife still works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been self employed for the past 27 years, running an equipment leasing brokerage. I work with vendors of all kinds of equipment (construction, restaurant, printing, LED lighting, trucks/trailers, etc). When they have a customer that wants to purchase something, I provide the financing for them. Given how short my attention span usually is, there must be something that keeps me going in this industry and I think it's that every deal is different, and that I get to help people achieve their dreams.

Unfortunately the hours suck, and my boss is an *******. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a fiber optic technician, I travel around in the Midwest splicing fiber for cellphone towers, long distance data transport, a few projects we've worked were fiber to the home projects. I've also helped set up a few server rooms for internet providers. It's some interesting stuff, and at only 19 I feel as I have a lot of time to expand my career in the business.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have made a honest living as a fork lift mechanic for over 34 years. Did a few other things in between, but mostly a forklift mech. I got 6.3 years to go for my retirement. Or Nov 5th, 2023 at 6:30am. Then my company can kiss my ass. Then it will be Riding and fly fishing till I die in my mountain's, lol.

Reactions: SlowGuyTy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts