Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mechanic/builder finally got around to clearing the engine check light that's been on since we flashed it, and since he was messing with the ECU programming anyway we decided to do a little throttle mapping to address 2 issues; the twitchy/snatchy throttle which is an issue when you're in the corner and just crack the throttle and the bike lunges forward, we smoothed that out so it's like butter now. And the 2nd issue, and this was my biggest complaint, was the amount of harsh engine braking that occurs when you roll off the throttle, it's like stepping on the rear brake, got that smoothed out really nice too.

So my builder has the perfect flash for the FZ-10 if anyone is interested, you can send him your ECU and benefit from our work. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone interested, let me know and I'll PM you his contact info.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't remember the last time I even used the std or A mode since my last updated flash from 2wheeldynoworks. I'm in B mode all the time. Getting a reflash is the way to go for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear this issue is able to be eliminated. Can't wait to get mine flashed. I always feel like I have to be overly cautious with the throttle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So my mechanic/builder finally got around to clearing the engine check light that's been on since we flashed it . . .
racer, I'm guessing that you had your bike Dynoed after the ECU flash (which is always wise), correct? If not then there is/was something else wrong. On the Dyno the new flash will flag the front breaking system as malfunctioning because it sees no front wheel present due to the nature of base Dyno tuning. A simple clearing of the particular code by the dealer (or other) that triggers this error always fixes it.

. . . the twitchy/snatchy throttle which is an issue when you're in the corner and just crack the throttle and the bike lunges forward . . .
Proper installation of the DJ-PCV takes care of this. I had the same issue as well and after Lee's finished up with it the "twitchy throttle" you refer to became completely transparent. Also in my ECU the new QS displayed in the instrument cluster now is the bomb. It takes a while to get used to, but not having to use the clutch at high speed is very entertaining to play with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would be cool if someone getting it Dynoed to post the video unless there's one already I missed, with a bike that sounds as good as these do, dyno videos do help in taking in that sound ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
YamiFZ, if you're at all familiar with high performance moto exhaust systems, then you are aware of what it takes (#s-wise) to achieve the sound/tone/timbre that you're striving for.

Of course in the hands of a highly skilled combustion engine mechanic, we're looking primarily for gain in RWHP and TQ #s.
No video here for me, however the mathematics coupled with the laws of physics speak very clearly to me. Numbers and the laws of physics never lie. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would be cool if someone getting it Dynoed to post the video unless there's one already I missed, with a bike that sounds as good as these do, dyno videos do help in taking in that sound ;)
yes I did. See my build thread, the video is listed on post #5 http://www.fz-10forum.com/forum/113-fz-10-mt-10-general-discussion/2377-racer172s-build.html

racer, I'm guessing that you had your bike Dynoed after the ECU flash (which is always wise), correct?

yes. see build thread above ^
I respectfully disagree with what you said about the PCV taking care of the twichy throttle, it has nothing to do with throttle mapping, that's in the ECU. We spent hours with the throttle mapping after the build & dyno to get it smooth. My biggest complaint was the amount of harsh engine braking when I roll off the throttle, it was like stepping on the rear brake. Got that nice and smooth now as well. It's all in the throttle mapping. Yamaha already did this by giving us the 3 different Mode settings; A, STD, B, if you experiment with these modes you will feel the different smoother/harsher throttle responses, but the throttle mapping we did using computer software hooked up to the ECU, test ride, more changes, etc.. is how you get it fine tuned and perfect. This is what is done for race bikes at the track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you PM me your tuner's info? I would PM you, but I apparently need 15 posts to do that. I'm also located in San Diego.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Throttle mapping

Can you send me the throttle mapping your mechanic did? I picked up my FZ last Friday and the jerky throttle response in B mode is my only complaint. What a machine if you are only having one bike in the garage!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts