Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine about ten or so years ago talked me into roasting my own coffee. Been doing it since then and have so many options for various varieties that you'll never get bored.

I've gone from roasting outside on a BBQ burner to using a regular roaster in the garage. Cost wise it's really not too much cheaper then buying a decent roast from a speciality roaster but the control and the level of the roast is all up to you as is the various beans that are available.

What's your favorite coffee and how do you like it roasted?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Right now I use the Kirkland branded Espresso blend. It is as dark as they get. I figure if it is too strong, I can always dilute it down. I never do though...:wink2:

Where do you buy raw beans? I am curious about this now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My favorite coffee right now is caribou medium roast coffee for a keurig. Been trying to find something that matches it but no luck. I really dont like using a keurig. Never looked into making my own coffee, but now you have me interested.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I use the Kirkland branded Espresso blend. It is as dark as they get. I figure if it is too strong, I can always dilute it down. I never do though...:wink2:

Where do you buy raw beans? I am curious about this now.
I always buy my raw beans from sweet Maria's. It's easy to get started too. Many videos and tips there as well if you're interested. Right now I am drinking a peaberrry coffee from Brazil, very fruity with almond and tobacco after tastes.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My favorite coffee right now is caribou medium roast coffee for a keurig. Been trying to find something that matches it but no luck. I really dont like using a keurig. Never looked into making my own coffee, but now you have me interested.
You can get some of the refillable cups for you Keurig too and use your own roast.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can get some of the refillable cups for you Keurig too and use your own roast.
I only use the keurig because I can't find any coffee I like as much. Now I want to look into making my own coffee. Would love to stop using the keurig. Got any tips for a beginner?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only use the keurig because I can't find any coffee I like as much. Now I want to look into making my own coffee. Would love to stop using the keurig. Got any tips for a beginner?
The easiest and cheapest way to get into starting is to buy a stainless steel pop corn popper with the handle on top that you turn. Start off with a outside burner unless you don't mind the smoke in the house.

To get started you really only need the popper and some green beans. Something similar to the popper below. It is important that it is only stainless since the aluminum ones will impart a metallic taste to the coffee.

We use a Bonavita drip maker for our coffee, it works well with fresh roast because you can set it to presoak the grounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northe...7226&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+popcorn+popper

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven't ventured much into coffee, but what I usually get is the Blonde Roast from Starbucks. Keeps me wired enough throughout the day. I believe its what they use in espressos. Sometimes I take a small Blonde coffee with an espresso shot ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
The easiest and cheapest way to get into starting is to buy a stainless steel pop corn popper with the handle on top that you turn. Start off with a outside burner unless you don't mind the smoke in the house.

To get started you really only need the popper and some green beans. Something similar to the popper below. It is important that it is only stainless since the aluminum ones will impart a metallic taste to the coffee.

We use a Bonavita drip maker for our coffee, it works well with fresh roast because you can set it to presoak the grounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northe...7226&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+popcorn+popper
Awesome. Gives me something to try after I get moved.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't ventured much into coffee, but what I usually get is the Blonde Roast from Starbucks. Keeps me wired enough throughout the day. I believe its what they use in espressos. Sometimes I take a small Blonde coffee with an espresso shot ;)
If you like a caffeine high coffee you'll get more of it in lighter roasts since believe it or not the more you roast a coffee say for example a "French roast" there is actually less caffeine since the darker the roast the more caffeine gets evaporated.

It is fooling when you drink a heavy roast as your brain tells you "it's strong" it must be a buzz, but typically the roasts used for Espresso is fairly low in caffeine compared to a lighter one. I am not familiar with the blonde coffee but I am guessing it is a fairly light roast and would be high in caffeine.

Personally I don't like Starbucks for the most part because they tend to let their beans sit too long after roasting and they tend to use fairly generic varieties in their blends.

If you do decide to ever roast your own you'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried using an Aeropress, yet? If not, I highly recommend spending the $20 and getting one.
I like the Aeropress, less sludge and sediment then a French press (supposed to be healthier for you). I need to eventually get one but I have only tried one at a friend's house.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've actually never looked into my coffee this much as I've always depended on Starbucks or someone of the sort for it but this has definitely sparked my interest and sounds like a new hobby that I'd want to get into! My plethora of questions is soon to follow...

·
Registered
114 Posts
The wife asked if I wanted anything for father's day, so I sent a link of that Aeropress...to be continued.

I imagine the smell of beans roasting makes the mouth water. I may have to try this out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've actually never looked into my coffee this much as I've always depended on Starbucks or someone of the sort for it but this has definitely sparked my interest and sounds like a new hobby that I'd want to get into! My plethora of questions is soon to follow...
This is a great place to browse at for many questions and how to info. It's also a great resource for the green beans:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts