Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay first I want to say that in over 4,000 mi I have never checked my gas mileage the old fashion way. I how ever noticed some thing odd yesterday riding double up all day. The first time I pulled over for a rest my trip odo said 85.4 miles in which my gas guage said 1/2 tank of fuel used. My average trip mpg read out said 34.1 mpg, yet I put in just 2.3 gallons of gas which comes to 37.1 mpg. Then I went on our way into the mtns of NC and TENN some long straits mountan roads ect. We pulled over at 90.1miles and the guage said 1/2 tank full again. I filled up again to the gas filler rim and put in 2.42 gallons. My mpg read out says 34.3 mpg. But my caculator says 37.23 mpg average. I have punched three holes in my gas filler neck with a awl so the gas tank gets filled up faster and to the top. I do this to every bike I owned and I get 2-3 tenths more fuel in there. This is double up riding by the way. I won't be rideing my bike much after today as im going back to work. So I would like you guys to use the old method of caculating the gas mileage and see what your getting and compare it to your read out of average MPG. Now weather my reflash messes up the fuel fuel consumption guage ,I don't know. But for on now im going to do the manual MPG test and see if my guage is 3 MPG off . If so Than im glad MY FZ10 actually gets better gas mileage than I thought even if its only a few mpg better. Let the testing begin!:nerd:

Reactions: SlowGuyTy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay first I want to say that in over 4,000 mi I have never checked my gas mileage the old fashion way. I how ever noticed some thing odd yesterday riding double up all day. The first time I pulled over for a rest my trip odo said 85.4 miles in which my gas guage said 1/2 tank of fuel used. My average trip mpg read out said 34.1 mpg, yet I put in just 2.3 gallons of gas which comes to 37.1 mpg. Then I went on our way into the mtns of NC and TENN some long straits mountan roads ect. We pulled over at 90.1miles and the guage said 1/2 tank full again. I filled up again to the gas filler rim and put in 2.42 gallons. My mpg read out says 34.3 mpg. But my caculator says 37.23 mpg average. I have punched three holes in my gas filler neck with a awl so the gas tank gets filled up faster and to the top. I do this to every bike I owned and I get 2-3 tenths more fuel in there. This is double up riding by the way. I won't be rideing my bike much after today as im going back to work. So I would like you guys to use the old method of caculating the gas mileage and see what your getting and compare it to your read out of average MPG. Now weather my reflash messes up the fuel fuel consumption guage ,I don't know. But for on now im going to do the manual MPG test and see if my guage is 3 MPG off . If so Than im glad MY FZ10 actually gets better gas mileage than I thought even if its only a few mpg better. Let the testing begin!:nerd:
Mine is brand new and so not even broken in yet. On my long ride home from the dealer it hand calculated to 38.6 MPG, yes to an American gallon based on 3.785 liters per gallon. The display said I only got 35.1 mpg. It reads roughly 10% lower than I actually got. 160 miles per tank if not scared to run it low. Once it has a few thousand miles on it and loosens up, it might increase slightly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Neurosis!

Zero out the trip meter. Fill up the tank. When you get to 100 miles on the trip meter then hunt down a gas station and fill her up.

You're fidgeting too much. The FZ-10 likes to drink so everyone's mileage will vary depending on how hard you ride, like me!

HAVE FUN, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

M.B.R.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been keeping an eye on mine since purchased and although the UK gallon is 4.545l I have just today rolled over 600miles and had to fill her up so without todays fuel I have put 16.81gallons in for 599 miles which equates to 35.63mpg. In US numbers were talking 20.1gallons and 29.65mpg. Not sure quite how thats so far down from your mileage and mine has been broken in pretty much to the letter with the odd foray into 7000 rpm territory a few times.

Anyway, who gives a toss, the MT10 is an awesome ride and I can pretty much forgive it anything :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts