Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the tank protector/pad that Yamaha has for sale on their parts and accessories online.

It's only been on for a month and the adhesive is pulling away.

Any recommendations on a different one I should try out?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had some problems as well with Tech Spec pads sticking to the tank. I had used rubbing alcohol and did the install in the recommended temperature as well even using a hair dryer. I've always had amazing results with the Tech Spec product but after three replacements the pad would just not stick to the middle where the protector is.

I am not sure if it because of the angle or what it is but I gave up on anything in the middle of the tank. The sides and other areas no problem at all, but that center part of the tank caused me multiple problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not sure if it because of the angle or what it is but I gave up on anything in the middle of the tank. The sides and other areas no problem at all, but that center part of the tank caused me multiple problems.
You might take a look at the curvature of the tank, and the stress points, and cut the Tech Spec pad in half (vertically), or even thirds. It might leave some very small gaps in the protector, but it would alleviate the stresses and result in better adhesion.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You might take a look at the curvature of the tank, and the stress points, and cut the Tech Spec pad in half (vertically), or even thirds. It might leave some very small gaps in the protector, but it would alleviate the stresses and result in better adhesion.
That may be the best way to get it to stay. I've decided that there are not many circumstances for me that I would be tank down but I may look into doing that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another alternative to Tech Specs (which IS a good product) is Stomp Grips. They now have a 'volcano' pattern which is concave at the end and while serves the purpose well for grip it won't tear up leathers (or whatever you wear on your legs).

Years ago Stomp had a really aggressive spiked pattern (which hurt like ****) and apparently they've found a way to give good grip w/o hurting their customers.

BTW - the previous suggestions for cleaning the tank with alcohol to prep the surface AND to heat the grips with a hairdryer and/or heat gun are great tips. I tend to do BOTH when mounting my grips and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my tank protector from Italy from Italpads on eBay. It's here but the postal costs may kill its value.

For some reason I am not allowed to post any links. I did find it on eBay.com if you like it. The item number is 252919623983

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts