Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

Real World FZ-10 MPG

30K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  WillL84 
#1 ·
I am inches away from buying an FZ-10. But, I wanted to get a sense from actual riders the real world MPG for the bike. I'm going to do normal mountain cornering on the bike but, I also take multi-thousand mile trips and the stated 4.5 gallon or so tank at 30MPG seems like it just doesn't work for that. So, for folks who've done highway riding at 80-90, is 30mpg the real number? Or have you seen something different?

#4 ·
High 20's to low 30's. I have heard rumors of mid to high 30's. Even heard of one chap that said 42 mpg. I have yet to see that, or even close to that.

Fuel mileage is not the -10's forte.

Expect around 100/120 miles to the tank before looking for a pump. (spirited riding).

#5 ·
sounds consistent

I went to a dealer to see another bike. They had an FZ-10. I rode it...loved it. But, my intent for the bike is commuting and then longer trips, 1-2k per trip. I tend not to ride highways but more backroads.

I'd rather not have range anxiety overshadowing the ride.

Sounds like I'm better off settling on a Multistrada or such...though, less my style of bike.

#6 ·
I went to a dealer to see another bike. They had an FZ-10. I rode it...loved it. But, my intent for the bike is commuting and then longer trips, 1-2k per trip. I tend not to ride highways but more backroads.

I'd rather not have range anxiety overshadowing the ride.

Sounds like I'm better off settling on a Multistrada or such...though, less my style of bike.
Nice, looking forward to hearing your feedback, should be a lot of fun throwing it around on those commutes especially moving to faster lanes and the overall swerving involved in commuting (or at least my commuting)

#9 · (Edited)
I rode my new FZ10 from the dealers show room to my home 478 mi. Mostly highway miles of 70-80+ mph. Got between 36-38mph in A mode. That's really not bad. When I hit the last 100 miles I was hitting country to mtn roads. This is where the FZ10 starts to eat the gas. When I pulled into my drive way the average mpg reading I believe was 36.7mpg. I have a write up here in new member section. I'm one of those get my bike into six gear right away riders. Since I have over 1700 mi on my FZ10 and ride mostly in my mtns. My average mpg read out stays between 34.9-35.0 mpg. But that's me. This is not a high mileage FZ like my GEN1 was, 44-57mpg with that bike. That's about as honest as I can observe on my FZ10 gas mileage so far. It seems to get better gas mileage at high highway speeds ,which is usually the oppisit from my other bikes, strange? Might improve slighty with a reflash after my full exhaust mods?

#10 ·
Read my "finnaly got her home,487mi"

It's in the new member section.

#11 ·
Combination city and rural back roads (freeway like) I've been getting about 32 average but only have a bit over 125 miles on it at the moment. I need to go ride more! I am doing the city/rural routes until break in is done that way I never keep it at any one engine speed for more then a few minutes tops.

#12 ·
I'll be getting my FZ10 dyno tuned this Saturday. I personally think I'm running rich as to all the extra soot I see inside my exhaust ever since the reflash of my ECU. We will see if I'm correct in that assumption on the first initial dyno reading. I'll make sure I point that out to the tuner. My gas mileage from a average of 34.2 stock to 28.+ after reflash went down quit abit. Sat is supposed to rain out so hopefully I can do a mileage run on Sunday after my dyno tune.

#14 ·
Will do.

#15 ·
Just thought I give a update on my mileage since I had the Graves new EVR 3/4 EXUP system installed , the graves smog plates installed, graves DB muffler insert and a new reflash from 2wheeldynoworks for my set up. I was just to the Dragons Tail and back yesterday with two of my good friends. I did 255 mi of mostly twisty mountain roads and some high way riding, [love the cruise control] and when I got home I averaged 35.1 mpg. That has improved from 31-32.5 mpg on the same basic run I did several times with other exhaust and reflash combos. I will say that no doubt that high speed 70-90 MPH riding the gas mileage actually is better with a 38+ mpg average. This is only one bike out of thirty I had that gets better gas mileage over 60 MPH, weird? I bet a dyno tune on my bike could possibly improve on that? But im leaving her alone for awhile. :grin2:

P.S. Since the new reflash, I now rarely use STD or A mode any more, im almost all the time in B mode, its that much smoother. As long as I keep the rpm's below 6 grand in the twisty stuff the on-off throttle isn't that testy.:nerd:

#18 ·
Yes 40+ mpg at high speed 80mph is very doable as long as tickets aren't, lol.

Reactions: SlowGuyTy
#17 ·
I've done a few freeway commutes since new, around 60 miles at a time, and found the sweet spot for mileage around 70-75 MPH. I'm getting a solid 36, actual calculation, not just readout which tends to wander. Bone stock except windscreen. It's worse slower or faster. 1400 miles on it so far.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm finding out that I'm getting better gas mileage doing the old fashion manual caculation way. The average mpg dash readout is not that accurate. See my post, mpg readout not that accurate.

#24 ·
I know this thread is a bit old but I just bought a new 2017 FZ-10. put 101 miles on a full tank. refueled and it took 2.91 gals. doing the math it comes out to 34.70 mpg. pretty impressive for a brand new tight motor.
That's livable for sure, but once you past your break in point and start to have some fun it may fluctuate a bit. Worst I've ever got was 23 but that was the computer read out not actual gallons divided by actual miles.

#25 ·
So far, I am seeing around 33mpg on mine, that's mostly back roads with a little interstate riding at 70-80mph. Back roads I am riding mostly 45-60mph with a few bursts in there just to keep the rpms bouncing around for break in. I think the more miles I put on it, the better the mpgs will be.

It's definitely NOT a bike for those looking to get 200 miles or better per tank but it's quite capable of being a touring bike with a windscreen and side bags. Just plot your route to make sure you're passing gas stations and you'll be fine. Don't let the less than stellar mpg stop you from buying the bike you want. I went from a Gen 1 V-Max to the FZ and fuel consumption is about the same so I am used to it, lol.

Buy it, ride it, love it!

#26 ·
Yep I agree with you. My real rideing and not what I can get MPG is 33.0-33.1 MPG as the average read out says. If some one is doing alot of highway high speed rideing then the average gas mileage will actually go up a little more, 38.0+ mpg. As I did over 400 miles on a trip with my FZ10 on mostly highway speeds.I think this is the first motorcycle out of 30 that I owned that got better gas mileage at over 70 mph !LOL.:surprise:

#27 ·
I did a nice ride doubble up yesterday in mostly 80% mountain roads and the rest on some mountain straits with 70-80mph runs. Did 171 miles. Averaged 35.6 mpg by the time I rolled into my drive way at home.. No great but not real bad. It just amazes me that at 70+ mph my readout double up was 41mpg. This bike must lean out at those rpms and speeds?

#29 ·
38.6 MPG riding home from the dealership. I would say a very safe 160 miles per tank of gas, but not 200.
I'm surprised that gas stations are so far apart from each other. Here its very rare to be even 75 miles between stations.

#30 · (Edited)
Right , first off this is in UK gallons.
If you want MPG buy the 2018 KTM 1290 Superduke GT or BMW XR 1000. Stick a can on and flash them on the Dyno. With the XR you will see 54 UK MPG,at legal speeds and a little excited riding.
I live in a town.
When i cross the nearby river ,i'm into back roads all the way to Kirkby Lonsdale in the Southern Lake District . I can fill up just over the bridge,right to the brim.There are areas where there are Average Speed Cameras and some "cart " tracks,so you're not stretching the bikes legs all the way. Kirkby is 37 uk miles from my place and i can see half a tank of fuel off .
A few weeks ago i went to Wales. My rout was M55, M6, M56 off at Queens Ferry then to the Ponderossa bikers meet/food stop.I went Via the Horse Shoe pass to Llangollen before the fuel gauge dropped to the last segment. My motorway speed was set at 73 MPH on the CC and traffic was little at 06.30hrs. When i hit the A roads, i rode conservatively because the cops love screwing motorcyclists in Wales.That indicated 119 miles on the clock.
Don't really think the 10 is a touring bike by any description . To prove that ,just try riding it in unlit areas out in the sticks at night. The lights are ridiculous.
Got to add here that my 10 is FTECU flashed,has a Scorpion pipe with bigger O2 sensors on with Ti headers,standard air filter.
The bike on idle in the workshop no longer stinks of un burnt fuel

#31 ·
I just filled up my '19 yesterday for the 4th time at 400 miles on the nose. Dash says I'm getting 29.4 AVG, Fuelly says I'm getting 27.3 AVG. I've been trying to fill it until the gas hits the base of the filler neck insert every time to keep that consistent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.