Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After a short break from the street bike world, (3 years), I dove back in with a vengeance. The FZ10 is a fantastic machine. I've had it for only a month, but it is becoming an all time favorite quickly. Luckily, I've kept up some skills with my off road activities, my WR450 and YZ250 have kept me from going completely bonkers. My son was wanting to upgrade from his R3, so we decided on a FZ09. After riding it a bit, I got the bug again, and opted for the FZ10. Previous bikes from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, but soon found my place with Yamaha. I've since owned an FJ1100, FZ700, FZR1000, XT600, FZ1, YZFR1, and now the FZ10. (seeing any pattern here?) I'm looking forward to sharing stories, insight, and good times with all of you.

Dan

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi all,
After a short break from the street bike world, (3 years), I dove back in with a vengeance. The FZ10 is a fantastic machine. I've had it for only a month, but it is becoming an all time favorite quickly. Luckily, I've kept up some skills with my off road activities, my WR450 and YZ250 have kept me from going completely bonkers. My son was wanting to upgrade from his R3, so we decided on a FZ09. After riding it a bit, I got the bug again, and opted for the FZ10. Previous bikes from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, but soon found my place with Yamaha. I've since owned an FJ1100, FZ700, FZR1000, XT600, FZ1, YZFR1, and now the FZ10. (seeing any pattern here?) I'm looking forward to sharing stories, insight, and good times with all of you.

Dan

Wecome aboard. I've been mostly a Yamaha guy since 1998. But had mostly Kawasaki's since 1973.30 street bikes to date .My favorite types are the naked sport,standard bikes. To many to list, but I had four FZ1's before my new FZ10. It's the best bike I ever owned, minus the gas mileage. But my old 09R1 also sucked the gas, as my old 1973 Kawasaki S2-350 and my Kawasaki H2-750 two stoke tripples,lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Dan,

Many us here with similar backgrounds. I got in the mode of "Oh I just want something easy to ride around on", that turned into man this thing is totally boring! On to the FZ which is anything but boring. I am back into the Yamaha fold after many years of everything else for whatever reason.

Allot of great people here, kind of slow sometimes but not everyone posts as much as I do :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Dan:

Welcome back to riding on the street. Like Dave said, probably a lot of people here with similar stories, me included. Had a stupendous crash in 2004 on my 929rr, bought a Gixxer 1000 in 2005 and liked it, but it was a lot of power and my head wasn't in the game like it had been before the crash. Sold it a couple of years later and bought an '06 FZ-1 in 2007. Nice bike, but pretty boring. Had that until 2013 and sold it; just wasn't riding much; there just wasn't any joy in it anymore. Bikeless for a couple of years, and then I got the bug again, so I bought a 2014 Kawasaki Concours figuring that maybe touring would be cool. It's not. LOL 700lbs of slogging 'Fat Amy' through the corners wasn't nearly as much fun as the commercials make it seem. I put on all of 3,000 miles last year.

Jump ahead to three weeks ago; buddy of mine sold his Connie and bought a Tuono. I started researching the FZ-10 and every write up, and every video was people giggling over how fun the bike was. And I gotta tell ya', no one was making **** up. This bike is by far my favorite bike ever, and I've had about a dozen or so. Bone stock it's just a hoot, and very confidence inspiring.

You mentioned that you're back into street riding after taking some time off; I'd like to suggest a free riding clinic with the Doc Wong group out of Belmont if that's anywhere near you. Street Riding Clinics: Introduction and Clinic Dates

We've been running the same clinic up here in Portland for about 15 years, and it's helped a lot of people stay on the island as it were. Super helpful, even if you've been riding for a long time.

Now get off of your computer and go enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Sounds like we're all in the same boat. Jeff, I did get some mojo back at The Streets of Willow Springs in So. Cal. California Superbike School on their BMW S100RR's. I've done quite a few track days when I had the R1, so it all came back pretty well. I'm just older now and more cautious ( I don't like falling even on the dirt bikes). About 1400 miles on the FZ now, all is well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Welcome to the boards Dan !

Are you into doing modifications or have anything planned out that you want to get changed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Sporty,

Yup, I do mods. Doesn't everyone? I've switched to the EBC HH brake pads, nice improvement.
Yamaha windscreen, it helps from the neck down, helmet still in full airflow.
I have a quickshifter coming, should be here in another week, I'll let you know about it. My sons FZ09 has one, and I like it. Still thinking about tuning, I like the power now, but abrupt throttle right off idle is annoying. Cruising at 70 with the throttle just cracked is off/on/off....Don't know if that can be fixed. Exhaust? Mirrors? Comfort seat? Steel braided brake lines are a must for me, I've always done that on all my bikes, and once you do, you can't stand not having them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Haha just making sure ;)

The stock mirrors do throw me off though, I think I would much prefer bar ends or something of the sort.

Stainless braided lines do make a world of a difference in brake feel and lever feel. I do agree with you on that 100% ! People think it's extra until they try it out and realize it really changes things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts