Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

Previously had Ninja 1K?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Ludicrouspeeds 
#1 ·
I currently have a Ninja 1K, it's a great fit for me. I've kept it quite a bit longer than most my other bikes, getting interested in something new. Can anyone compare/contrast them?

Thanks

#2 ·
I have two good buddies that both own the Ninja 1K's, One has it with ABS, the other does not. They both love those bikes, and for good reason. They truly are awesome platforms. While not on the top of the spec sheets, they very capable machines.

I rode the ABS version a little ever a year ago, so my memory may not be the best from the ride. So I will try to pro/con to my best ability.

Power: FZ-10 wins. The cross plane is a monster. Don't get me wrong the 1k is no slouch either. The added 44cc gives it some decent low end torque.

Comfort: I would possibly give the 1k an edge due to the added wind protection. However, the FZ-10 does an oppressive job with such a small screen.

Stability: FZ-10 wins by a long shot. I remember the 1k being a little unsettled over bumps in turns. The FZ-10 shines on the R1 chassis/swing arm. Very confidence inspiring.

Tank Range/Fuel Economy: 1K wins this by a large margin. The 1k has a 5G tank, while the FZ-10 has a 4.5(grrr, why Yamaha..). The MPG on the 1K is better too, so climbing the two and you will lose a LOT of tank range going to the FZ-10. If you mostly ride in the city, this is more of an annoyance than a limiting factor though.

Styling: This area is entirely subjective. I have always thought the 1K's are ugly as all heck, but my two buddies love them. The FZ-10 is in the same boat, you either rove it of hate it. I love the look of the FZ-10.

Riding two-up: 1K wins big time. The passenger seat and pegs on it look like they were design for a human to use. The FZ-10is almost comical on the peg position; you would deed to relocate the pegs for some serious passenger use.

Pricing: 1K wins, but not by much any more. The FZ-10 comes at a high price, but a new 1K is only $800 cheaper. In my area 1K's sit on the show room floor for a long time. Both my buddies bought them two years old off the showroom floor, so there was some great pricing rebates to move them. The last one was bought for $9000, out the door.

Cruise Control!: Well, of course the FZ-10. Should would work better with a bigger tank though...

I transitioned from a 2012 R1 about 1.5 months ago, and couldn't be happier. If you go in the transition knowing and accepting the few cons, the FZ-10 will not disappoint.:grin2:

#3 ·
Styling: Yeah, I like the look of my N1K, don't really like the front end of the FZ, but not enough to discount it.

How about the gearing on the FZ-10? What is the RPM @ 70 mph? I put a one tooth bigger front gear on the N1K to lower the RPM a little for highway use.

My N1K

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I want to say it's in the realm of 5k+ around 70, but I can't say I have paid that close of attention to it though. Someone else might be able to chime in on that. The gearing is short on the FZ. I'm sure you could install a 41T sprocket(-2) on the rear(like the R1) to make it a little more highway friendly, but then you lose some of the character of the FZ. Your N1K looks setup for some distance riding. The FZ will never compare in that department.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.