Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2017 FZ-10 about 2 weeks ago. I've got about 300 miles clocked. Loving it so far. I got the Raven Black color with included dealer accessories: Akra slip on, Yamaha quick shifter, Yamaha comfort seat, radiator guard and swing arm spools. Never rode a bike with a quick shifter before, I almost had them take it off... now it's one of my favorite features of the bike!

My previous bike was a 2003 Ducati 999. I was really wanting a used KTM 1290 R but they were hard to come by and for the same price as a new FZ, after watching many many review videos, it made sense to me. I have ridden plenty of R1s and really like Yamaha styling and quality over the other Jap brands.

Future upgrades: fender eliminator, Akra mid pipe.

power commander or ecu upgrade? Any recommendations there?

Also, does the bike get better gas mileage after the break in period? I'm getting about 25mpg right now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Gas mileage will vary, worst I have gotten was 22, best 31. It's not going to make much difference before or after break in, just become really good friends with your local station. Sounds like you really got a head start on mods right out of the box more than many of us have after a few months.

I am considering a quick shifter myself, have a radiator guard and believe it or not I like the stock seat. I am not going to do much more other then side bags as I need them since I don't want to jeopardize my five year extended warranty. Other then my DPM race shield and mirror extenders I am pretty much done with mods for the most part.

Congratulations on owning what I consider one of the finest motorcycles I've ridden in forty years and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome to the club; sorry you bought the slower black/black model. :)

Great bike so far. Just picked mine up on Sat and already put 400 miles on it. Like Dave said, before/after break in, your mileage is going to suck. LOL

Just go have fun, and don't stray too far from petrol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I actually prefer the matte Grey body color... but those wheels... they're a bit much for me. Plus the dealer I bought from only had the one available at the time. The subtle red accent on my bike matches the my gear as well, coming from a previous Ducati Red bike.

All in all. I think it's one of the best looking bikes on the road. Even those neon wheeled versions look pretty cool.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks guys!

I actually prefer the matte Grey body color... but those wheels... they're a bit much for me. Plus the dealer I bought from only had the one available at the time. The subtle red accent on my bike matches the my gear as well, coming from a previous Ducati Red bike.

All in all. I think it's one of the best looking bikes on the road. Even those neon wheeled versions look pretty cool.
Have to admit it took me a bit to warm up to my neon wheels, but I rationalized that it made me more visible in the world which I think it actually does, but yes they take some getting used to for sure, plus they are very demanding that you clean them often :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have to admit it took me a bit to warm up to my neon wheels, but I rationalized that it made me more visible in the world which I think it actually does, but yes they take some getting used to for sure, plus they are very demanding that you clean them often :(
I wipe off my neon rims after every ride before I put my FZ10 away. I do the same on my Genesis coupe. Guess I'm anal about it.lol.No biggie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Loving it so far. I got the Raven Black color with included dealer accessories: Akra slip on, Yamaha quick shifter, Yamaha comfort seat, radiator guard and swing arm spools. Never rode a bike with a quick shifter before, I almost had them take it off... now it's one of my favorite features of the bike!

QUOTE]

I just picked up the Raven Black color a couple weeks ago. Love it. Right away I added the radiator guard, the comfort saddle, the slim rails, tank bag and tail bag, a tech gripper to mount my cellphone on the handlebars to use as a gps/Bluetooth music player. After owning the bike for about a week, I decided to order the Full Titanium Akra exhaust system. Almost went with only the slip-on, but I figured I might as well jump 'all in'. Since I first picked the bike up, I have been debating on getting the quick-shifter. How exactly does it work and what are the benefits to it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my 2017 FZ-10 about 2 weeks ago. I've got about 300 miles clocked. Loving it so far. I got the Raven Black color with included dealer accessories: Akra slip on, Yamaha quick shifter, Yamaha comfort seat, radiator guard and swing arm spools. Never rode a bike with a quick shifter before, I almost had them take it off... now it's one of my favorite features of the bike!

My previous bike was a 2003 Ducati 999. I was really wanting a used KTM 1290 R but they were hard to come by and for the same price as a new FZ, after watching many many review videos, it made sense to me. I have ridden plenty of R1s and really like Yamaha styling and quality over the other Jap brands.

Future upgrades: fender eliminator, Akra mid pipe.

power commander or ecu upgrade? Any recommendations there?

Also, does the bike get better gas mileage after the break in period? I'm getting about 25mpg right now.
Congratulations :) It's an awesome bike. I have the following
- Fender eliminator: Vagabond Motorsports
- ECU Flashed by Nels from 2Wheels DynoWorks
Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loving it so far. I got the Raven Black color with included dealer accessories: Akra slip on, Yamaha quick shifter, Yamaha comfort seat, radiator guard and swing arm spools. Never rode a bike with a quick shifter before, I almost had them take it off... now it's one of my favorite features of the bike!

QUOTE]

I just picked up the Raven Black color a couple weeks ago. Love it. Right away I added the radiator guard, the comfort saddle, the slim rails, tank bag and tail bag, a tech gripper to mount my cellphone on the handlebars to use as a gps/Bluetooth music player. After owning the bike for about a week, I decided to order the Full Titanium Akra exhaust system. Almost went with only the slip-on, but I figured I might as well jump 'all in'. Since I first picked the bike up, I have been debating on getting the quick-shifter. How exactly does it work and what are the benefits to it?

What brand cell phone holder did you go with? Do you like it? I think that's my next add on.

The quick shifter is awesome... I don't know all the technical details of how it works but the bike has the software built in that allows seamless almost instant clutchless up shifts. Well worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts