Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not know, I am new to the forum and although I don't have an FZ-10 yet, it is on the radar and I am working on hopefully having one by the end of the year. I had a 1999 Vmax that was just sold 2 weeks ago and my wife has a 2007 Honda Shadow 750 that if all goes well will be sold this afternoon.

This frees us up for new bikes! I had Progressive insurance on the Max and the Shadow and it was decent coverage for $298.00/yr. Basic liability was only going to be $99.00/yr for both! I wanted to get an idea of what the insurance would be on an FZ so I contacted Progressive and had them quote for a 2017 FZ-10 and a 2017 FZ-07 for my wife and I was blown away by the quote. $1913.00/yr!!

So....I ended up checking with Geico and let's just say that they are insane, they wanted $3048.00/yr!!!!

Finally, I shot an e-mail to my State Farm agent and asked her to quote me on the FZ-10 and FZ-07. She replied that it would be $816.00/yr. for both with a $1000.00 deductible and $876.00/yr with a $500.00 deductible!!! That's Full Coverage with comp & collision! Wow! I was shocked to say the least. So it looks like I will keep all my insurance with State Farm. The only reason I got Progressive for my Max and Shadow was that Progressive was cheaper than State Farm on the older bikes by maybe $150.00/yr.

I am glad I decided to give SF another look! I can't believe the wide range of pricing in insurance, none of them are even close in pricing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You found out exactly what I did. I had State Farm for my previous bike and when I got my FZ I was a bit shocked by the increase to what they set it to so I started looking at pretty much everyone else. Geico being the craziest too in my area just for the FZ and full coverage 500.00 deductible they wanted 2400.00 a year. I was like WTH!!

Needless to say State Farm at 1000 year was the best too. Not sure why all the others are so outrageous.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pleasantly surprised. I figured that the FZ-07 would be cheaper than the 10 but the rates for my wife with a 2017 FZ-07 is $34.38/mo with $1000 ded and $41.72/mo with $500.00 deductible. The FZ-10 for me was quoted at $34.93/mo for $1000.00 ded and $42.24 for $500.00. So it looks like I did my math wrong above, lol. For $500.00 deductible on both bikes it's $83.96/mo. For $1000.00 deductible it's $69.31 per month. That equates to $831.72/yr for $1000 ded and $1007.52/yr for $500.00 deductible. A difference of $175.80 for the lower deductible.

Either way, it's still a helluva lot cheaper than the others, lol!

Now I know who I'm using, I just need the wheels :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've been with state farm for at least 13 -14 years. I tried straying myself back in 2008 and quickly found out how expensive the others are even at my age. By the way not all state farm agents quote the same numbers even though they are all state farm agents. I found that out also. In fact the next time another SF agent tries to lure me over with cheaper rate I might take them up if mine doesent match them. I have full coverage on my 2017 FZ10 and also full coverage including no fault on my 2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8 and pay $157.00 month with $500.00 deductible. I'm 60+.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yuo, insurance is the horror that we all have to deal with. Depending on where you live, maybe your insurance can do fire and theft only for the winter months since that costs less. And the full coverage during the riding months.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Over $2k a year, ouch. But that should go down as you age, especially since you're 19. Good to keep your insurance going even if you don't ride, the cheapest kind you can get, just to keep their clean riding records going.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Over $2k a year, ouch. But that should go down as you age, especially since you're 19. Good to keep your insurance going even if you don't ride, the cheapest kind you can get, just to keep their clean riding records going.
yeah it is pretty expensive, but well worth it in my eyes. Its one **** of a bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts