Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're going to be having some 105-110 degree days for about a week here. I have ridden before in this but this time I think I am garaging things until it's cooler.

I guess I'm glad we have a pool we can dive into as needed. All kinds of weather alerts up here, extreme heat, extreme UV, extreme allergies, extreme pub crawling for cold beer etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Heat never drives me into the garage, the cold does. All I had when I was working in Phoenix was my bike, so I rode many days of 115+ degrees. You don't park on asphalt over there unless you want to pick up your bike from the ground.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heat never drives me into the garage, the cold does. All I had when I was working in Phoenix was my bike, so I rode many days of 115+ degrees. You don't park on asphalt over there unless you want to pick up your bike from the ground.
Yeah, time for the extra wide kickstand pad if you do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My first experience of that was walking outside after eating some dinner at an Old Chicago Pizza. My kickstand sunk about 6" into the asphalt, and my buddies was about the same. The heat wasn't too bad while moving, but hit traffic and things change quickly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys are brave to ride in weather that hot. I'm picky compared to other riders but in turn I enjoy riding better. Went through seasons where I rode almost every day and realized how much I preferred waiting. Waiting is not for everyone though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are brave to ride in weather that hot. I'm picky compared to other riders but in turn I enjoy riding better. Went through seasons where I rode almost every day and realized how much I preferred waiting. Waiting is not for everyone though.
I used to regularly ride in that and hotter heat. Not any longer. My idea of making it through this type of heat wave is A/C, and a stool at our local Irish pub with a frosty cold one in front of me, a dart board and a comly young pub lass.

When it's 110 plus outside you start to cook in your gear. And the old saying still applies "I would rather sweat then bleed"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just the idea of riding in that heat and then getting stuck in traffic makes me cringe. I'm also not the type to squid so yeah... very high heat = garage kept.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just the idea of riding in that heat and then getting stuck in traffic makes me cringe. I'm also not the type to squid so yeah... very high heat = garage kept.
With my gear it's a bit easier to ride in warmer weather. My summer "jacket" is a ballistic jersey.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With my gear it's a bit easier to ride in warmer weather. My summer "jacket" is a ballistic jersey.
I actually have one of those too, what I have found at least in our area is that when the temp hits 100 or above the oil starts to leach out of the asphalt along with the oil that vehicles leave behind.

It may be just our area where the California roads are done cheaply but sometimes on different surface roads it's like riding on ice, so I tend to garage it then.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's 100 here in Portland, and there's no friggin' way that I'm swingin' a leg over the bike this week. :)

Anything over 90, and I'm sitting in an air conditioned building with something alcoholic in my hand. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's 100 here in Portland, and there's no friggin' way that I'm swingin' a leg over the bike this week. :)

Anything over 90, and I'm sitting in an air conditioned building with something alcoholic in my hand. :)
Me too, went for a ride early yesterday just because it was driving me crazy with no riding and by noon I was parking it in the garage.

Stopped by one of our local biker bars for a 805 and about 8-10 Harley riders pulled in all looking like they road through **** dripping sweat and basically looking really uncomfortable. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with an air cooled bike in this weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts