Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video captures motorcyclist's 250-foot cliff plunge - CBS News

He said the steering "locked up". BS! Watch the video then read the article. In the article he said that he was doing 40mph but in the video you see he's over 60. He picked a bad line and rode off the road and instead of braking, he pulled in the clutch. In the article it states that he's been riding for 6 years. If that's the case, then wow! Any bike will kill you if you don't know how to ride. He got very lucky!

·
Registered
385 Posts
What a newbie idiot. First off he could of made the corner he wasn't going that fast even a at 60 plus. He totally had target fixation and looked where he didn't want to go that was obvious from the video. Yeah blame the bike for your ignorance. Hope he never rides again. Gives the rest of us a bad name.

He would have been better off on a Ninja 250 instead of a liter bike for sure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
nothing to add here, I can only repeat what has already been said; inexperience & target fixation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Worst bike to do it on too, people like this are better off riding something older and used till they have the experience to push the boundaries a bit. Thought I was done with idiots when leaving the GSXR1000 world.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've ridden that road, and many others in the area. His problem was obvious. That's an 80 MPH corner, and the FZ10 will not accept anything less. Just like a Thoroughbred, she'll kick off any newb in a heartbeat. >:)

Reactions: YamiFZ

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've ridden that road, and many others in the area. His problem was obvious. That's an 80 MPH corner, and the FZ10 will not accept anything less. Just like a Thoroughbred, she'll kick off any newb in a heartbeat. >:)
I think it's sometimes just part of the process, something everyone has to go through, just make sure you go through it on a low risk level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"I'll never ever get on another motorcycle..." Hate to hear that after this kind of stupid crashes... It was your fold, not bike's. Anyways, guy got really lucky and I hope he's gonna be alright. BTW, have you seen this video? pretty similar crash.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ditto!

I tried to watch it but got bored halfway through. needs edited down to 2-3 minutes just too long for me.
Agreed . . . should have skipped to ~6:50 in the vid; not interested in 6+ minutes of video of rookies in the twisties going ~35 mph.

As for sparky (Mr. 250' diver) above in the OP, he claims the steering/forks locked up on his FZ10 and I seriously doubt that was the problem.

If he wants to get back into riding motorcycles I would seriously suggest purchasing one of these:

2018 Slingshot SL - Sunset Red

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not 100% impossible either. The electronic steering damper could have failed locking up the steering. While it's very doubtful, it's not technically impossible. I've seen steering dampers lock up hard where you couldn't move the bars anymore although the likelihood of it happening is pretty much nil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts