Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Roxanne's finally back with her passionate lover. Yah, I named her so shoot me. . . :smile2:

My super perf dynomatic magic man "Billy Bob Thornton" (yeah, for real) finished her up today and now Roxie's back in my loving arms purring quietly in my garage waiting for me to straddle her sweet self in the wee hours of the morning - tomorrow and the next day, and the next day, and so on. . . ad infinitum.

Anyways sorry, I tend to become somewhat gregarious at times, pardon me. It must be the combo of German/Scorpio blood/nature.

Enough of the minutia.

What I had done over the past 5 days to Roxanne - basic, but highly effective in the right hands of a very skilled high performance technician/mechanic's hands.

1) Akrapovic Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Racing Line TI-TI-CF Full Exhaust System
2) Dynojet Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Power Commander V w/Custom Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Racing Map
3) 2017 Yamaha FZ-10 Race ECU Flash

Some but not all custom ECU mapping features:

* Remove all throttle based restrictions
* Fully revised Power Modes
* Remove all speed and gear based restrictions
* Optimize ignition timing for 91+ octane pump fuel
* Fully customized fuel mapping
* Customized electronic race throttle-by-wire maps for Power Mode A, B and STD

* Custom enhanced high-speed electronic stabilizer sensors
* Customized engine braking strategies
* Ability to load Power Commander maps directly into the ECU
* Adjustable radiator fan temps for more efficient cooling
* Adjustable rev limiter extensions(>=500rpm)
* Disable closed loop mode
* Diagnostic Code Manager
* Adjustable velocity stack opening point
* Enable quick-shifting (indicted on new instrument cluster as "QS")
* Disabling the factory AIS (smog) system
* Disabled EXUP & error recall
* Disabled fuel injector cut
* Disabled steering damper (removes code for aftermarket units)

And for the morning glory (pics) and the hard dahtah (#s) attached:

And for a silly added attraction, I shot a short video with my $200 POS Nikon.

Here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1jOz09Z-YZRTRqVE5IRTZoRTQ/view?usp=sharing

M.R.B. to Enterprise! Spock, you acute Vulcan madman, engine DONE - beam me up Scotty!

- David (M.R.B.)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sweet looking ride! Curious why you went with the power commander over the ecu flash?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet looking ride! Curious why you went with the power commander over the ecu flash?
Maybe you miss-read my original post. I have both, the 2017 FZ-10 DJ-PCV w/custom racing map, the 2017 FZ-10 Akra Racing Line FES and the 2017 FZ-10 Race Flash ECU map.

It's simple, if you want maximum performance from a base standpoint, then you need all three.

Aside from that, the FZ-10 is extremely powerful off the line, but I wanted much more torque and this is how you get to it. Stock ~71 lb-ft @ 9,290RPM -> Mod ~79 lb-ft @ 9,270RPM with ~25HP gain. It's a completely different sportbike at this juncture, a metamorphosis.

You benefit tremendously and are presented a great deal more flexibility utilizing both mapping abilities between the PCV and the ECU. Any good perf mechanic will tell you this right up front. Folks come to the incorrect assumption that simply adding a PC and replacing the exhaust system will produce more gain. That's not what these elements were designed for the consumer.

The PCV only helps with the fuel injection system (beyond the scope of this post/discussion). It does nothing to help you gain power or torque. A full exhaust on a good day might give you 2-3% increase in power and torque and of course gives you that race tone that everybody is striving for.

The magic lies in the ECU by removing and/or adjusting as many as possible OEM restrictions. Your factory warranty is voided, but it's easy to re-flash back to its original state. But that for the most part should never happen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I heard that these days car makers can find out if you did a tune previously even if it was reversed back to OEM before getting into their hands. Whatever that method be, hopefully it doesn't find its way into our bikes, but if its costing them a lot, it might just happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe you miss-read my original post. I have both, the 2017 FZ-10 DJ-PCV w/custom racing map, the 2017 FZ-10 Akra Racing Line FES and the 2017 FZ-10 Race Flash ECU map.

It's simple, if you want maximum performance from a base standpoint, then you need all three.

Aside from that, the FZ-10 is extremely powerful off the line, but I wanted much more torque and this is how you get to it. Stock ~71 lb-ft @ 9,290RPM -> Mod ~79 lb-ft @ 9,270RPM with ~25HP gain. It's a completely different sportbike at this juncture, a metamorphosis.

You benefit tremendously and are presented a great deal more flexibility utilizing both mapping abilities between the PCV and the ECU. Any good perf mechanic will tell you this right up front. Folks come to the incorrect assumption that simply adding a PC and replacing the exhaust system will produce more gain. That's not what these elements were designed for the consumer.

The PCV only helps with the fuel injection system (beyond the scope of this post/discussion). It does nothing to help you gain power or torque. A full exhaust on a good day might give you 2-3% increase in power and torque and of course gives you that race tone that everybody is striving for.

The magic lies in the ECU by removing and/or adjusting as many as possible OEM restrictions. Your factory warranty is voided, but it's easy to re-flash back to its original state. But that for the most part should never happen.
Definitely missed the flash part. Haha. Thanks for the extra info

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, Roxanne's finally back with her passionate lover. Yah, I named her so shoot me. . . :smile2:

My super perf dynomatic magic man "Billy Bob Thornton" (yeah, for real) finished her up today and now Roxie's back in my loving arms purring quietly in my garage waiting for me to straddle her sweet self in the wee hours of the morning - tomorrow and the next day, and the next day, and so on. . . ad infinitum.

Anyways sorry, I tend to become somewhat gregarious at times, pardon me. It must be the combo of German/Scorpio blood/nature.

Enough of the minutia.

What I had done over the past 5 days to Roxanne - basic, but highly effective in the right hands of a very skilled high performance technician/mechanic's hands.

1) Akrapovic Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Racing Line TI-TI-CF Full Exhaust System
2) Dynojet Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Power Commander V w/Custom Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Racing Map
3) 2017 Yamaha FZ-10 Race ECU Flash

Some but not all custom ECU mapping features:

* Remove all throttle based restrictions
* Fully revised Power Modes
* Remove all speed and gear based restrictions
* Optimize ignition timing for 91+ octane pump fuel
* Fully customized fuel mapping
* Customized electronic race throttle-by-wire maps for Power Mode A, B and STD

* Custom enhanced high-speed electronic stabilizer sensors
* Customized engine braking strategies
* Adjustable radiator fan temps for more efficient cooling
* Adjustable rev limiter extensions(>=500rpm)
* Disable closed loop mode
* Diagnostic Code Manager
* Adjustable velocity stack opening point
* Enable quick-shifting (indicted on new instrument cluster as "QS")
* Disabling the factory AIS (smog) system
* Disabled EXUP & error recall
* Disabled fuel injector cut
* Disabled steering damper (removes code for aftermarket units)

And for the morning glory (pics) and the hard dahtah (#s) attached:

And for a silly added attraction, I shot a short video with my $200 POS Nikon.

Here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1jOz09Z-YZRTRqVE5IRTZoRTQ/view?usp=sharing

M.R.B. to Enterprise! Spock, you acute Vulcan madman, engine DONE - beam me up Scotty!

- David (M.R.B.)

So, I don't see a quickshifter installed in your picture, did you add it after the pic?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I don't see a quickshifter installed in your picture, did you add it after the pic?
It's there. A new icon shows up just to the left of the "mode selection" in a black box/white font as [QS] and it's always active. It works great, almost as if you're driving a Indy 500 race car.

Here's how it works. Obviously the code is burned into the ROM (read only memory) on the ECU. As I stated it's always active. I wasn't too familiar with QS until now (as it's a included feature set as part of the ECU flash) but to me it's designed more for drag racing. So, you're in 1st with revs high, let out the clutch then it's all up to you. No "blip" of the clutch to compensate for the gear shifting you just give it all you want and sweep through the gears with the left hand free and throttle cranked as much as you desire, or are able to handle. 1st->2nd, 2nd->3rd, 3rd->4th, 4th-> 5th, 5th->6th. You can do this with the bike stock already but you need to man the clutch. I don't know if the [QS] works the in the other direction "down shifting" but who cares. We want to get up to max speed as quick as possible which is the point.

With my setup now (Akra, PCV, ECU '17 race line flash) and the huge increase in torque and RWHP @ ~(80-85, I never floor her)% throttle my Roxie @ ~11.55RPM hits 162MPH with room to spare and with the [QS] that would be in seconds. Don't have the hard numbers yet but when I get her out to the track next weekend I'll list them here.

M.R.B. :smile2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know how it works, I have one. What I don't see you have, is one of these. It is the pressure sensor and shift rod that tells your ECU you want to shift. Without this, your ECU has no idea you want to shift. The QS icon only says the program is on, but without the hardware it still won't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay nutti FZ10.

Please calm down for a moment. You obviously know more about this than I do. :nerd:

I'm a rider/amateur racer for quite some time and rather good at it. I'm not in any way attempting to patronize you. I know how a bike feels and responds, before and after invasive modifications have been done to it, provided I have the option of several A/B (before/after) track test laps.

All I can say is that the device you have attached doesn't exist on my bike and the quick shifting works perfectly, just as expected.

If you want the facts from the horse's mouth, then I politely suggest that you contact "Freddy" at "Superbike Unlimited". He's a very nice and professional guy and he'll take whatever time it takes to answer your mechanical questions that obviously appear to be above the scope of my mechanical knowledge.

Again, I'm the rider, and the technical stuff I let the experts deal with, I simply use what they give me.

Superbike Unlimited (Freddy or Alex | 828-775-8823 M-F 9-5 EST):

http://www.superbikeunlimited.com/presta/sportbike-ecu-tuning/1460-2016-2017-yamaha-fz-10-race-ecu-flash.html

M.R.B.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"I wasn't too familiar with QS until now"

I am calm. I, too, have years of experience on the track, both on and off road. I'm just curious as to how you know it's working after making that statement. I've always made upshifts without the clutch, but you have to momentarily back off the throttle to accomplish a smooth shift. The QS eliminates this requirement. Why would Yamaha sell this part if all you have to do is activate the program? The program can be activated on a stock bike, icon on, QS shown, but it is not working without the shift linkage/ pressure switch installed. Even the R1 with standard QS has this hardware. I will contact Freddy and see if I am mistaken, maybe he worked some black magic (pun intended). But in the meantime, I'd be real careful with full throttle clutch-less upshifts, that's how people drop their gearbox on the road. My sincere apologies if I offended you in any way, I just wanted to make sure you knew how it worked and what you had (or didn't have).

My last track bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually, this is the track bike, the other was the road bike. This one is the LE, the other is the standard R1.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts

Isn't this feature(selling point) of the ECU flash the reason you don't need a power commander? I could see if you are using the Autotune, then it makes sense.

You can do this with the bike stock already but you need to man the clutch.

This would be called normal clutched shifting?

I don't know if the [QS] works the in the other direction "down shifting" but who cares.

If they were able to get your quick shifter to work without a pressure switch, then perhaps they also figured out how to add an auto-blipper without a pressure switch for downshifts? Let us know how it works for you.

Forgive my questions, sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"My sincere apologies if I offended you in any way, I just wanted to make sure you knew how it worked and what you had (or didn't have).
nutti FZ10, I must come clear (I'm not as savvy as you regarding the particulars of the mechanics involved here).

I've since been explained what the procedure was/is. Yes QS is activated when you have SU burn the new flash. However, you are completely correct about the physical part the needs to be present for the QS to function correctly. I must have been either abusing my FZ-10 or it was a figment of my imagination. In the end, I don't think that I really will care for the complete configuration to be done on my FZ-10 even though the [QS] icon is visible to left of the mode selection. I'm not into drag racing, which is what little I understand about what this functionality is for the most part based on.

I'm good, the #s are all good and the most important thing is I'm overall very happy with her even though she was super out of the crate to begin with. Splitting hairs can be a never ending endeavor in more ways than one.

So, my apologies to you Sir, for my ignorance regarding this matter.

M.R.B.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No worries, M.R.B.
We are all here to learn and share experiences, and I don't profess to know much at all, I'm still learning too. But, I do have some knowledge and experience from years of riding and working on all my machines that I'm more than happy to share with all.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts