Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I mistakenly pulled away from a stop, in 3rd gear, no problem. This bike has gobs of torque. Power wheelies all day thru 2nd. Freeway speeds see 5-6k, the sweet spot for MPG, it seems. But even in 6th at 50MPH, the power is still on tap to pull away quickly without a downshift. Could we gear this up slightly? Will our MPG suffer, or possibly improve? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
The other day, I mistakenly pulled away from a stop, in 3rd gear, no problem. This bike has gobs of torque. Power wheelies all day thru 2nd. Freeway speeds see 5-6k, the sweet spot for MPG, it seems. But even in 6th at 50MPH, the power is still on tap to pull away quickly without a downshift. Could we gear this up slightly? Will our MPG suffer, or possibly improve? Any thoughts?
I would be surprised if the mpg goes up. On this bike like you said the sweet spot is 70 pluss with the stock gearing and rpms. If you lower the rpms at 70 you might have to cruise at 90mph to get the same mpg as stock,lol. I did a pulley swap with my Roadliner to lower the rpms. My gas mileage was worse on the highway, go figure. I did over 511 miles this past weekend on my FZ10. Average mpg was 36.6mpg. Highway rideing was low 40's at 70mph and above.That really ain't bad at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm happy with the stock gearing, haven't felt a need for a change. And my bike does power wheelies in 3rd gear as well, you just have to find the sweet spot in the RPM range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How do you guys not know you're in 3rd gear? LOL
When I'm sitting at a stoplight I always put her in neutral cause I don't like holding in the clutch, wears down the wrist on longer rides.
and if you're starting from neutral no way to get lost.
Not saying it's a big deal or anything, it's just never happened to me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I'm sitting at a stoplight I always put her in neutral cause I don't like holding in the clutch, wears down the wrist on longer rides.
Basically by not paying attention coming to a stop sign.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick, unexpected stop, just happy to BE stopped. Time to go, forget to downshift.
I'm fairly happy with the stock gearing, too. Not sure what the ratio is for 6th gear on the R1, but they have a 41 tooth rear, ours is a 43 tooth. I know the R1 is more track oriented, so higher top speed is needed, ours more for street riding. But with the power curve favoring lower end torque, why they felt it necessary to also gear it lower ( if 6th gear ratios are the same) is interesting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure what the ratio is for 6th gear on the R1, but they have a 41 tooth rear, ours is a 43 tooth. I know the R1 is more track oriented, so higher top speed is needed, ours more for street riding. But with the power curve favoring lower end torque, why they felt it necessary to also gear it lower ( if 6th gear ratios are the same) is interesting.
First of all LOL, I like your guy's answers :laugh:
I know they say the fz10 has the R1 engine, but it's not even close to being the same, there is virtually nothing that is the same, the cams are different, the gearing ratios are different, the air intake system is different, just to name a few things. When were were doing the build on my bike my mechanic (that builds R1 race bike engines) noticed this right away as soon as we dug into it. Our bike is made to make power/torque down on the low end and the R1 makes it power like all sport bikes up in the higher revs. I'm sure you probably already know all of this, but maybe there's a new owner that doesn't..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts