Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wellp, there were 3 models of bikes in the holy grail liter-class of bikes.

The BMW S1000R, Aprilia Tuono V4 1100, and the KTM Super Duke R

Then stepped in the FZ-10

What made this one stand out ? The darn price ! (among many other things)

Going from most expensive to least, we have:

KTM Super Duke R - $16,999
Aprilia Tunono V4 1100 - $14,799
BMW S1000R - $13,495
Yamaha FZ-10 - $12,999

How can you possibly go wrong with something that looks absolutely stunning ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree that it's definitely on point, especially when you consider the price.

But it's hard to say only those 4 are the holy grail. There is so much to choose from these days. Those are definitely the short list, but to each his own, and there are so many great choices today compared to what we had 15 years ago.

·
Registered
306 Posts

BMW S1000R - $13,495
Yamaha FZ-10 - $12,999

And when you only paid $11,437.00 for the FZ10 , which is below msrp like me. That just sweetened the decision even more. Pluss Yamahas bullit proff reliability. I'm very happy. The other thing is that experiencing the awsome sounds and feels of the amazing cross plane engine is NEVER boring.A motorcycle with a engine with character just begs to be riden all the time. I have had many inline fours, v twinns and a v four and got bored of the same old same old feel and sound. But the cross plane idels like a twinn. And depending what rpm your in or how much throttle is opened or coasting. The cross plane engine also sounds and feels like a tripple or v four. Very entertaining. Some thing the other three don't have. We FZ10 owners have it all. IMHOP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As i have already all the other naked "liter" bikes , cb1000r and gsx1000s too...
(well sdr1290 after 1400km and an exploded motors and tuono it s a factory version)
Mt-10 was just the way to go

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As i have already all the other naked "liter" bikes , cb1000r and gsx1000s too...
(well sdr1290 after 1400km and an exploded motors and tuono it s a factory version)
Mt-10 was just the way to go
Wait what? the motor on your sdr1290 exploded?
Yea.. it's kind tough to just leave that alone when you say it exploded so very nonchalant :|

But there definitely are more great liter superfighter bikes out there but this was just a general listing I've found. Nonetheless, when negotiating a better deal, phew, take about a difference for an utterly amazing product !

·
Registered
385 Posts
One of the facts that lead me to consider Yamaha was their consistent reliability rating at number one out all brands. Personally I would avoid BMW because of their horrendous rating in that respect. I like the Aprilla but there is a definite lack of a dealer network in our area. So Yamaha won out for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts

BMW S1000R - $13,495
Yamaha FZ-10 - $12,999

I know this thread is a little old, but good luck finding a basic S1000R without any option packages. I think the cheapest I found when I was looking at them was $15k+. I imagine you would have to order the "basic" version. That makes the FZ-10 that much more of a bargain compared to the rest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
U can order one without "packets" but reselling value will be near nothing
and TC is a must with that "long-lay-down-on-tank" drive position

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but good luck finding a basic S1000R without any option packages. I think the cheapest I found when I was looking at them was $15k+. I imagine you would have to order the "basic" version. That makes the FZ-10 that much more of a bargain compared to the rest.
I ran into the same issue when shopping for a new bike. I was going back and forth between the fz10 and the s1000r. I couldn't find the s1000r for under 17k in my area. The dealers told me they won't even request a base model. If you wanted one the timing had to be right for manufacturing and it needed to be special ordered. The fz10 was an easy win for me. Also looked at the gsxs1000 but there were a few things about it that pushed me away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reliability and dealer network made the decision for me.
Too many complaints about service and reliability for me to consider a BMW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a buddy of mine that picked up a brand new Tuono, and another friend that has the s1000R. I appreciate the 'complexity' of the Tuono, but quite honestly, I'm never going to feel the difference between traction control 5, and traction control 4... and there's 8 settings. It also has wheelie control, which is separate from the traction, and many more settings that you can fiddle around with.

The BMW is a pretty awesome bike, but I didn't find it as comfortable as the FZ10. The active suspension is cool, but not worth almost $5,000 to me (Oregon prices for that bike with all the farkles is around $18k).

Having ridden all three now, and having every person I ride with say "****, you're faster and more comfortable on the FZ than I've ever seen you" means I made the right choice! I get that it doesn't have ohlins, or brembos, and that the plastic bits are of a cheaper quality than the Tuono, BMW or KTM, but none of that matters when I'm ripping around and feel totally at ease on the FZ. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
:d :d :d :d
:d :d :d :d

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wait my SDR 1290 exploded , i had a hole in the front of crankcase

·
Registered
13 Posts
The fz10 was an easy win for me. Also looked at the gsxs1000 but there were a few things about it that pushed me away.
Yeah, mainly that its as ugly as sin! I know the FZ/MT is no oil painting but I love the looks. The GSXS looks shite and looks like some super scooter! Horrible design on the front fairing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts