Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

Finnaly got her home ,487mi ride home.

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Sporting 
#1 ·
;D Well I finnaly picked up my new FZ10 at the dealer ship saturday. I rode her home 487mi. This is my 30th bike I have owned since 1973. I half to say it IS the BEST bike I have ever owned for ME. rideing this bike in my mountians to me is like a scapel going thru a big steak, just carves them up. love the cruise control. But useing it has a weird feeling. Most people relax their left arm off the left bar and keep their right hand on the throttle. So useing the cruise control to relax my right arm and steer with my left is just a unusuall feeling. ill get use to it.As far as gas mileage goes, the horror stories I read on the FZ10 forum about bad gas mileage isnt really that bad. I did 487 miles of mostly high speed rideing on the interstates so I didn't get run over by picem up trucks, suv's and mini vans doing 80+ mph in their false sence of securty gas guzzeles! Any way my speeds were between 70-90MPH for at least 300mi and my average set from 0 at the dealer with 0 miles on the odo was 38.7 MPG. By the time I got home I noticed my MPG was falling to a average of 38.1 mpg as I pulled into my driveway. trust me, my 09 R1 was way,way worse. The seat. Well lets just say after the first 200 mi I was in pain. I will be buying the touring seat they offer. This is also the first metric bike to have a pretty accurate speedo. I was optomistic only 1mph or less according to my gps. If I was doing 80 on my bike it was really 79-79.5 on my gps! Wind plast is fine up to 70mph, but gonna need the optional wind shield also for high speed cruiseing. Oh the engine. AWSOME as my 09R1 was. Got to at least get a slipon to get the music of the cross plane to sing out loud. light were very good at night. Today I put in another 75mi on my twisty roads and this bike for me is like a scapel. just does what I want it to. Im rideing it for awhile with traction set on #2 and power mode on A. Love the passing light switch and the four way way flashers. Power outlet looks and feels like its made from 1/8" tubing. not a cheap after thought. Nice and Yamaha solid quality.Oh, of course I get crowds around it and they even want to sit on it and have their pic's taken. This is one hot motorcyle and ALOT of guys want it. Seems dealers are running out of them too? This is my style of rideing and type of bike for me. The brakes to me are just fine. I don't ride that aggressive so maybe thats why? I just installed the luggage rack and it takes away from the over al look, but I really have no choise as my passenger needs to be more comphy. Ill be installing FZ09 rear passenger peg mounts and I probably will get 1" risers for the handle bar. Over all im in BIKETOPIA. I had four FZ1'S, three GEN1 and one GEN11 and this blows them away in every thing except gas mileage,LOL. Thanks again Yamaha, You made me proud again to ride an awsome naked sport bike with well thought out amenities and accessories. ;D

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I've been a little scared to go too fast because of what the manual says about the break-in period. This is my first bike so I was trying to follow rules but I really want to get it on the freeway. I found I was creeping into the 5k rpm range at about 65 mph. Can you tell me what your rpm's were like at 75ish?

And congratulations!
6,000 rpm in 6th gear is 80mph or GPS correct 79-79.5 mph.

Reactions: FZ-10 Admin
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Well I wanted to update my experience rideing for the first time today after work two up. I have been very worried that considering the short wheel base of the FZ10 and smaller rear seating area and high foot pegs that my girl friend of 5'2" might not be happy rideing in the rear of my FZ10 and ill have to keep the Raider for two up stuff? I also was worried that the power coming off the line with the extra weight out back Ill be slipping the clutch alot. I also was worried about how stable my FZ10 would be coming to a stop and of course how it will handle in the tight twisties and brakeing ability. We let me assure you people who might be doing a lot of double up rideing like me.I'm totally floored on my maiden double up quick ride to taco bell today after work with my FZ10 and the little women on back. When we double up on my Raider I can feel the weight out back and my raider doesen't excellerate like when im alone and of course I do alot of counter steering in the twisty turnes with my girl friend on the back too.. I can feel her 140+lbs in the rear,LOL. But let me say I barley even noticed her on the FZ10. No ****! The FZ10 is stable and it still just about as nimble in the tight turnes like as if I was alone. Also no problem stopping or excellerating. the extra weight is still barley felt and coming off the line I was also impressed. So much for low end big V-twinn TQ, the FZ10'S cross plane motor does it with so much more ease. She said that the FZ10 was so smooth on the pegs and the syspension was smooth also. Yamaha did make the rear shock spring a little stiff and for a good reason as they knew people will make a double up sport tourer out of it. Other than the around town gas mileage that can't touch my great gas mileage of my Raider, Ill take the trade off with the 160HP,LOL. So when my new FZ10 sport touring seat and 40mm lower rear foot pegs get here and installed, mama will be even more happy. I love rideing naked again. Now if I can just sell my Raider and pay off my FZ10!!!

Reactions: Yam Bob
Discussion starter · #8 ·
Great review!

How was the rear passenger ergonomics, a lot of uncomfortable forward leaning? And the brakes?
Read my ride feed back in above topic. The brakes are for ME just fine. Rear seat to peg relation for my 5'2" girl friend is fine. Just gonna be better with lower pegs and touring seat. I'm 5'6" and slightly leaned over.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Today we did 120 miles of mountian rideing and my ass was killing me but my girl friend said she was good to go,!!!I hope that touring seat gets here soon, cause I need it,LOL. Any way our area has the colors in finnaly. In the back ground is Yona Mtn.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.