Ultra-lightweight, compact, 998 cc, DOHC, 16-valve (4-valves / cyl.), liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with "crossplane" style crankshaft.
The FZ-10 engine is EU-4 emissions compliant (European Union emission standards ... this is a very clean engine!)
The key components of this cutting edge engine design are the "crossplane" crankshaft and an uneven firing order. Both of these features are used on Yamaha's championship winning R1. The FZ-10's crossplane crankshaft locates the center two rods at a 90 degree plane from the outer cylinders. Instead of the crank pins aligned on the same plane (a straight line drawn through the center of the crankshaft), they align on 2 planes in the form of a cross... or "crossplane". Working in conjunction with the crossplane crank is an uneven firing order. This FZ-10 engine fires 1,3,2,4 cylinders and the firing intervals are uneven at 270 / 180/ 90 / 180 degrees. What all this means to the rider is the most linear torque possible with amazing throttle control.
4-valve cylinder head design.
Special intake port shape provides maximum filling efficiency & excellent torque.
- compact pent roof combustion chambers with 12:1 compression ratio
- combustion chamber shape is optimized for low to mid-range power delivery
- lightweight 31 mm steel intake valves & 26.5 mm steel exhaust valves
- 4-valve design optimizes breathing efficiency & enhances "real world" ride-ability
"Finger follower rocker arms".
- revised intake port shape (Vs. R1 & R1S) enhances low to mid-range torque & power
Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
Revised intake & exhaust cams.
- reduces friction, allows greater valve lift & provides super accurate control of valve opening & closing at high rpms
- sliding area of the rocker arms feature a DLC (diamond like coating) to reduce friction & wear
Closed deck aluminum cylinder with "liner-less" ceramic composite plated cylinder bores.
- intake & exhaust cam profiles & timing have been revised (Vs R1 & R1S) for increased low to mid-range torque & power
Offset cylinder design.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- closed deck design allows cylinders to be spaced more closely together, reducing engine width
- cylinder is a stand-alone design (not integrated into the upper crank case)
Revised short skirt, forged aluminum pistons.
- offsets cylinder block relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side) to reduce frictional losses between the piston & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
Revised crossplane crankshaft design.
- lightweight design means fast throttle response
- piston top / crown has been revised (Vs. R1 & R1S) to optimize the new combustion chamber shape & revised compression ratio
- special Defric coating on piston skirts & piston pins reduce friction
- piston oil coolers spray oil at the underside of pistons & rods to reduce temperature
Fracture split, steel connecting rods feature a "nut less" design.
- revised crank webs (heavier ... for optimized inertial mass) for excellent "ride-ability / street-ability"
- increased inertial mass (weight) improves starts (moving away from a stop) & low speed engine control
Single axis balancer shaft.
- lower end "cap" of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are "split" apart using a special process known as fracture splitting & then machined
- fracture splitting ensures true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads
Crankcases feature a "Tri-Axis" layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
- reduces engine vibration to a minimum for excellent rider comfort
Closed loop, Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back
- shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the "sweet spot" of frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T)
- FZ-10 uses a single set of 4 injectors (Vs. R1 & R1S twin injector system... using 8 injectors)
- 12-hole injectors with optimized spray pattern for excellent "ride-ability" & throttle control
- "closed loop system" uses dual oxygen sensors to sniff spent exhaust gases & automatically adjusts the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include instant throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idle during warm up & reduced emissions
Compact 6-speed transmission.
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
- system features Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and D.C. motor driven throttle valves
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
Compact, lightweight slipper (back limiter) clutch assembly with assist.
- features optimized gear ratios matched to engine output (same ratios as R1/R1S)
- secondary (final) reduction ratio has been revised (Vs. R1/R1S)... 43/16
Large capacity 12 litre air box
- reduces rear wheel hop/chatter during aggressive down shifts & under hard braking
- smoother corner entries
- assist function reduces clutch lever effort by up to 20% (Vs. a non-assist clutch)
Mid ship design 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust system
- viscous type, high flow air filter is used
- large capacity design helps smooth transition from on throttle to off throttle & vice versa
Yamaha's EXUP System (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve).
- features stainless steel header pipes & stainless steel under engine exhaust chamber
- lightweight titanium silencer / muffler
- design maximizes power, centralizes mass & lowers the centre of gravity for fast, light, agile handling
- dual 3-way honeycomb catalyzers reduce harmful exhaust emissions
part of the mid ship exhaust system
utilizes butterfly valve that prevents the "blow back" phenomenon caused by "valve overlap"
EXUP system eliminates "flat spots" in the power band & reduces emissions too
High-efficiency, high capacity curved radiator.
Air-cooled oil cooler with protective screen
- curved rad provides more cooling surface area than a conventional flat rad
- dual "ring-type" fans provides increased airflow (& cooling) versus a standard cooling fan
- external water pump (located outside of crankcases) reduces engine width & simplifies maintenance
Wet sump lubrication system with deep design aluminum oil pan.
- located below main rad
- maintains consistent lubricant temperatures for extended engine life
Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- easy access drain plug & spin-on type oil filter for fast, easy oil changes
Direct ignition coils
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- ignition coils are integrated into the plug caps, significantly reducing weight & complexity