Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had an epiphany this morning doing my usual cleaning and detailing. We have a huge bag of Mr. Clean Eraser style sponges, very cheap on Amazon like a 100 for 13.00.

So I brought out a couple with a small bucket of water to dip them in for rinsing them clean between uses.

Cleaned my wheels in record time as well as dried on goo on the cat and other hard to reach places.

All you need is a clean cloth to wipe after the sponge and you will be amazed how easy all the grime comes off the wheels and other areas. I haven't had the need to use them on any painted surface other then the wheels so not sure there but there, but they are white and no yellow came off the wheels so I'm thinking no problem anywhere else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Once the cloth didn't get yellow looking I think we should be alright using it? I typically get a bit sketched out when working with erasers like those though as they are real tough.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Once the cloth didn't get yellow looking I think we should be alright using it? I typically get a bit sketched out when working with erasers like those though as they are real tough.
Yeah I did read an article on car detailing and they did say to avoid any highly finished surface like your car hood or body panels. I never have used them on any other painted surface so I guess I wouldn't do so after reading that.

They did mention that they are perfect for plastic and plain metal surfaces though so I will use them there when you get those baked on grease spots on the cat and other hot surfaces (except the actual exhaust can) that area seems really sensitive to anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made an account just to post this, I wouldn't use a magic eraser on any finished surface on the bike. On bare metal like the exhaust it should be fine but the sponges are essentially sandpaper. Look-up melamine foam on wikipedia.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made an account just to post this, I wouldn't use a magic eraser on any finished surface on the bike. On bare metal like the exhaust it should be fine but the sponges are essentially sandpaper. Look-up melamine foam on wikipedia.
Yeah it was really rough. The car detailer guy did a video on a hood and separated it with blue tape and did one side with the eraser.

He mentioned while you could fix it it would be expensive to buff out.

So only plain metal and plastic for me :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyone who has a steamer will make life a whole lot easier since steam almost multiplies the cleaning power of the chemicals you're already using... that's if steam alone isn't enough to remove the mess. Some detailers swear by it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can also use the eraser on leather to strip essentially everything off but if you go too hard or for too long, it'll strip the dye as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lucky for us leather is very forgiving compared to just about every other surface on the bike, only thing is to better your odds treating the leather with something initially and then on a routine basis will give you the best outcome with removing mess.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I always experience several manifestations of Christ to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi on a daily basis.

Well, he's obviously called "Mr. Clean" for a very good reason, and look at him. I believe that if I touched him the finger I used would disintegrate, or something.

I use the easy route. I've got a sand blaster and a powder coating machine, an all-in one. After a week or so of hard riding my '10' in the deep mud, I have my wife pick a new rim color and I just have at it. Works perfectly every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts