Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a review going through the specifications and how it is to ride around the Tail of the Dragon. Apparently it does well in those short corners which is great to hear. They also make a lot of comparisons to the R1.

When you finally get to try your skills on a highway this renowned, you want to bring something...appropriate – you don’t bring a toenail trimmer to a knife fight, after all.
Full article : Yamaha FZ-10 motorcycle review with price, horsepower and photo gallery

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tail of the Dragon, the ultimate proving ground for motorcycles and cars. Wish they uploaded a video of the FZ-10 through it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A video would have been ideal. I really want to see this thing moving from a non-pov perspective

·
Registered
22 Posts
Intersesting that he identified the S1000RR as comparable instead of the S1000R. The RR should relate to the R1 instead. Nit picky, I know. Otherwise, fun writeup and supports our choice once again. I just wish it would cool off so I can enjoy it more. Ugh.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How hot is it down in West Bend ?? Also I've been meaning to ask, how hot does the bike get ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's been pretty consistent in the low 90s. I road 60 miles today and it hung around 168 unless I was slowing and stopping, the it hit 185. Some of the MT owners were posting engine temps above 105 C, so above boiling. I recall MT-09 riders posting very high temps also on the other forum. Keep in mind that I'm doing break-in, so rpms are usually less than 6000.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bikes like the FZ-10 are known to heat up and you can't really do too much to reduce it.

Shouldn't be bad enough to give you a burn mark or anything, just wear race leathers or textile pants to protect you a bit more. Maybe adjust your riding position and have your knees stick out a bit more for that sweet sweet breeze.

Really only a problem if you ride in shorts and at that point you're just a nutter squid.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea... I wonder how people can ride these bikes in shorts. Aside from it being very unsafe, given the many unfortunate situations that can occur, but I would just fear burning my legs in general.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Squids are like nature's way of controlling the population. Shouldn't be a problem with us and it's only a problem at low speeds or traffic jams.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I seen 121F the other day. Yes it is a hot ride. In more ways than one!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yea... I wonder how people can ride these bikes in shorts. Aside from it being very unsafe, given the many unfortunate situations that can occur, but I would just fear burning my legs in general.
Seen it happen way too many times, even seen guys ride around in wife beaters, or just no shirt at all, worst thing to do. Way too many people underestimate what can go wrong even with a fall at a slow speed. Layers buy you time, sometimes very precious time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seen it happen way too many times, even seen guys ride around in wife beaters, or just no shirt at all, worst thing to do. Way too many people underestimate what can go wrong even with a fall at a slow speed. Layers buy you time, sometimes very precious time.
Yup. As it is, you're open to receiving a lot of damages. Wearing proper equipment saves you from a fair bit of injuries. Wearing vests or no shirts is just leaving you completely open to any possible injury you could take to the torso

1 - 17 of 17 Posts