Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

Anyone else roast their own coffee?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jackfrank 
#1 ·
Been doing it now for over ten years. Best cup you'll ever drink and you'll never get bored with over 70 green coffees to choose from and those change frequently too.

Easy to do, cost about the same as good store bought brands but with none of the bitterness, stale, acid that I'm betting most of you get even with a higher end coffee.

This post was created in an attempt to get more traffic, this board is one of the worst I've been a member of. End.

#2 ·
Never tried roasting my own beans, but grind mine fresh every morning. I am currently looking for a new supply as the Sams brand has recently changed and I'm not liking the new flavor. So enlighten me on the roasting.

And I'm participating in this thread because I agree with the need to get some activity on this forum, And I love fresh coffee.

#3 ·
The best place for obtaining your green coffee is at : https://www.sweetmarias.com/

Been using them for many years and they are trustworthy and great people. You can get started for relatively not much money if you start with a whirly bird type pop corn popper (stainless steel). An outdoor burner on a BBQ is ideal since it will smoke some.

I currently have a Behmore 1600 roaster that I use in my garage and that's a bit more convienent especially in bad weather. The website above has great tutorials and other info if you want to try it. It really is easy to get started.

Guranteed the best cup of coffee you'll ever drink. After you get used to how much different it is then store bought.

#4 ·
I am intrigued by this. I may look further into it. I guess my main hobby is BBQ. I have an arsenal of grills and smokers and have gotten really good at making BBQ items as well as pizzas and grilled items in general. I can make a post about the stuff I do but I don't think it'll get much action, this place is dead as can be so it'd be mostly to entertain myself and stroke my own ego, lol!!!

#7 ·
I can guarantee to anyone that tries the home roast they will never go back to anything else. Even local freshly roasted coffee such as Peet's and other speciality shops are not as good. Some get close but never quite the same. It's also nice to have so many options to try so you never really have to drink the same coffee unless you find a bean you really like.

They usually have anywhere from 40-70 green coffee varieties available from the site I posted. Not sure I would call it a "hobby"? For us it's just a 20 minute process for a week's worth of beans. Don't forget to also use a good burr grinder as well :)

#8 ·
Chronic

I personally don't drink coffee, I drink Coca-Cola®. But I do use top grade coffee beans and ground them very finely for fertilizer.

I currently am cultivating 52 extremely high grade (no pun intended) Indica cannabis plants and the ground coffee beans works magical wonders as a fertilizer.

They're at about at 90% maturity now ~ can't wait! :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.