Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

SKIP TO THE END If you don't care for the back story....

:crying:I think someone tried to steal my bike last night by breaking the steering lock.:crying:

They forced it and broke part of the switch casing and bent the little nob under it that gets pushed out when you turn the key into the lock position; this little nob looks appears to slide into the frame and that's what keeps the bike handle bars locked.

I banged it back a little with a punch, just enough to be able to move the key from locked to off but I can't get it to turn on. It's locked up in my back yard now.

Needless to say; I rather save the money from towing and labor if there's a cheaper solution. I did all my work on my previous fz; but I'd like to hear from someone who's had experience with this "issue."

I just tried to find more info on the forums but I realize folk are hesitant to post certain things because some thieves falsely post to figure out how to do something like this for bikes they steal.

If anyone wants me to pm them or I can give you my number; I have all my paperwork for proof of ownership.

My main questions:

If I buy an oem steering lock switch; would I be able to put my old cylinder in the new switch so I won't have to carry two different keys?

Or...

Is there a way to buy (i really hope I don't have to do this) the complete lock set for the ignition, tank and tail together?

Any help is appreciated!

-J

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can switch the internals of the cylinders. Your best bet is buying the matching set. A lock smith might be a person to ask for a more definite answer. Maybe provide your key code to Yamaha, and hopefully they can remake a switch that matches your key?

Keep in mind that the ignition switch is bolted in with security bolts. The bolt heads shear off on install, so you are going to need to cut/drill them out to remove the ignition switch. Removing the upper triple clamp is your only realistic way to get to those bolts. Expect to spend time and use vulgar language through the process.

Your broken steering lock probably saved your bike from being stolen. I'm sure the thief spent more time than he was comfortable with breaking it free. Still sucks, because it's always an added cost to the owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Did you solved this problem?
I had the exact same issue
Is it necessary to program the new key or switch to be recognized by the bike?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts