Yamaha FZ-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question about the ABS system on the MT-10. I tried looking in the manual and it didn’t give any information. My current bike is a Ducati Monster 821. The ABS system has 3 modes Sport, Normal, and Wet more or less. The normal and wet modes have “rear lift prevention.” In other words you won’t do a stoppie and go over the bars in a panic braking situation. The track mode still has ABS but turns off the rear lift prevention. What does the MT-10 have? Does it have rear lift prevention?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
As far as I know, the MT-10 is not as advanced when it comes to ABS so you won't have different modes to select from. I assume it's enough to prevent the rear from lifting up to a certain extent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No offense, but unless your a pro racer level type, 'going over the bars' by the rear wheel lifting is never going to happen. And if you happen to be that type, then you have the skill to manage it with our without electronics. These are street bikes, both the 821 and mt-10, just pull the lever and let the abs work it out in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don’t mean to rub off the wrong way, but I’m not sure why yamster replied on this without knowing the correct information. The fz does in fact have 3 Abs modes as well. There is level 3 which is like you said “rain mode” it will prevent you from pulling the front wheel up very high, and I would assume the rear too. Level 2 is a good medium ground. I can do wheelies in level 2 again not sure about flipping over the front wheel I haven’t tested that yet lol. Now level 1 is the least intervention of abs, just like the Ducati “track mode”. Now all three of these will keep you from locking the front and/or rear tire. Now as far as doing a “stoppie” or flipping the bike over forewards, I have had a few occasions where I got on the front brakes hard and felt abs kicking in i haven’t however experienced rear wheel lift. However I do follow someone across the big pond that has one, and he put a whole new brake system to bypass abs so he can intentionally do stoppies. Hoped this helped!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Uh, I think you all have your terminologies messed up. The FZ10/MT10 has 3 RIDE MODES, 3 levels of Traction Control System, and one ABS setting, always on.
Now does the ABS adjust to ride modes or traction control settings? Very likely not. I think it's proven to be pretty much stand-alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t mean to rub off the wrong way, but I’m not sure why yamster replied on this without knowing the correct information. The fz does in fact have 3 Abs modes as well. There is level 3 which is like you said “rain mode” it will prevent you from pulling the front wheel up very high, and I would assume the rear too. Level 2 is a good medium ground. I can do wheelies in level 2 again not sure about flipping over the front wheel I haven’t tested that yet lol. Now level 1 is the least intervention of abs, just like the Ducati “track mode”. Now all three of these will keep you from locking the front and/or rear tire. Now as far as doing a “stoppie” or flipping the bike over forewards, I have had a few occasions where I got on the front brakes hard and felt abs kicking in i haven’t however experienced rear wheel lift. However I do follow someone across the big pond that has one, and he put a whole new brake system to bypass abs so he can intentionally do stoppies. Hoped this helped!
Sorry SlowGuyTy, but you are the one who has replied without having the correct information.

The MT-10 ABS is NON-ADJUSTABLE. It is a stand alone system which does it's own thing that you & I have ZERO control over.

However the bike has 3 RIDER modes and 3 TRACTION CONTROL modes.

For the 3 Rider Modes

All modes give 100% power, but the lower modes soften the throttle. Mode 3 almost has a delay between opening the throttle and the bike reacting, basically, a rain mode, mode 2 is smoother and more direct, then mode 1 is quite twitchy and direct and the bike will respond to every little throttle input you give it.

NOTE: On the 2016 bike when it was first launched these modes were called A, STD and B respectively. This was changed to modes 1, 2 and 3 as mentioned above from 2017 onwards.

For the 3 Traction Control Modes

Level 3 is for rain and will give zero slip and not allow any wheelies, level 2 will allow wheelies, but will intervene if the rear slides under power & level 1 will allow you to keep it on 1 wheel all day and only intervene if it thinks the slide is getting to be dangerous.

Then you can also turn TC 100% off, in which case, you are on your own.

As for ABS...

ABS is NON-ADJUSTABLE.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wheelies are possible also with tc at level 3 BTW...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wheelies are possible also with tc at level 3 BTW...
Don't know if you're looking to solve that or not... LOL

But if you are, turn the high speed compression screw on the rear shock all the way in, and then come out 14 clicks. If it's still doing it, you can go a few clicks more and see how that works for you.

Make a note of where it is now for reference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hard to do that on my two Mt10 as one got Öhlins forks/shock (plus R1 engine) and the other one it´s an SP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts