North America has been waiting patiently for the Yamaha MT-10 ever since it was unveiled at the Milan Motorcycle Show last November. Well now it’s officially making its way to Canada as the FZ-10 and the liter bike will also make its way south of the border. The FZ-10 won’t be delivered into the hands of riders for a while yet but, maybe these 10 facts from Ultimate Motorcycling will keep your mind off the wait in the meantime.
1. The FZ-10 is based off of the YZF-R1 more than the FZ1 even though both FZ models uses a 998cc engine. Sharing the R1’s 998cc Crossplane Crankshaft inline-4 engine, the FZ-10 has been tuned for more power from idle through the midrange making it a street friendly sportbike.
2. Premium KYB suspension comes standard in the form of fully adjustable inverted 43mm front forks and four-way-adjustable piggyback-reservoir shock. The shock’s high and low speed compression damping along with rebound damping can be adjusted. Both the front and rear has 4.7 inches of wheel travel.
3. The 5-spoke aluminum wheels aluminum wheels are shod with high-grip Bridgestone Hypersport S20 tires; 120 in the front and 190 in the back.
4. The FZ-10 comes with electronic aids including the ride-by-wire throttle, D-Mode selectable power modes, cruise control, and a three-level (plus off) traction control system.
5. A more compact, compared to the R1’s, Deltabox aluminum frame with a 24 degrees rake.
6. The FZ-10 weighs 24 pounds more than the R1 at 463 pounds.
7. ABS comes standard and it’s always on to prevent the 320mm front and 220mm rear discs from locking up.
8. The FZ-10 uses Yamaha’s assist and slipper clutch for more confident downshifts and lighter pull effort at the lever by using the power from the engine to reduce clutch spring tension.
9. Its aggressive angles and sharp edges makes the FZ-10 look like something straight out of an anime. The LED headlights complements its modern look and the sharpness can even be found in the LCD dash.
10. Best part is, the wait for your FZ-10 won’t be a long one as they're set to hit dealers this month. At $12,999 a piece, you can get your FZ-10 in either Armor Gray or Matte Raven Black.