FZ-10 Drive Chain Service - Yamaha FZ-10 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

FZ-10 Drive Chain Service

The Matt Hatter posted up a walk thorough on servicing the FZ-10 drive chain in case anyone needs a bit of help. He has a few videos for the generally maintenece of your FZ-10 and they're pretty informative.

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Do not use brake clean. That's something to note as a lot of people would think that's the go-to as that stuff cleans off virtually anything.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 PM

Garage
On my chain driven bikes I've owned I have always just used WD-40 to clean them then a product called "Chain Wax" for the lube. Does a great job on not leaving throw off everywhere if you follow the instructions.
Jeff_in_pdx likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Garage
I have used WD-40 and good ol' Kerosene to clean my chains. I have also used CHAIN WAX, but I am going to try some Bel Ray chain lube now. It supposedly does not "fling" but turns your chain white...we will see shortly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Garage
I need to do this today.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
I need to adjust my chain but watching his and the play after adjustment that sure looked too tight to me. I guess I need to use a measuring device and go by the numbers but just from past experience that sure looked too snug. Anybody else?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:45 PM

Garage
So to add to this thread. On our Sister site FZ10.0rg people are questioning the accuracy of the Yamaha manual in regard to the stated torque spec of 137 FtLbs. on the rear axle nut. Saying that that seems to be too much, must be an error in the manual, never seen it this high on any other bike etc. etc.

Since I am doing this tomorrow now I am wondering who may be accurate. People that say there have been errors before in Yamaha manuals because they meant 137 newton meters instead of foot pounds. WTH? now who do you trust? 137 NM is roughly 101 ftLBS of torque. This would seem to be more in line with many other bikes out there similar in design and HP to the FZ-10.

Any comments there?

Last edited by DaveInWoodland; 06-15-2017 at 11:48 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInWoodland View Post
So to add to this thread. On our Sister site FZ10.0rg people are questioning the accuracy of the Yamaha manual in regard to the stated torque spec of 137 FtLbs. on the rear axle nut. Saying that that seems to be too much, must be an error in the manual, never seen it this high on any other bike etc. etc.

Since I am doing this tomorrow now I am wondering who may be accurate. People that say there have been errors before in Yamaha manuals because they meant 137 newton meters instead of foot pounds. WTH? now who do you trust? 137 NM is roughly 101 ftLBS of torque. This would seem to be more in line with many other bikes out there similar in design and HP to the FZ-10.

Any comments there?
I'm just going to verify tomorrow with the dealer and document who I speak to in the service department before I do anything. This sure used to be easier in the days when I used to do an adjustable wrench and a guess how much slack was in the chain
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInWoodland View Post

Any comments there?
comparing my sons FZ-09 and my FZ-10, the torque at 137lb. ft. looks correct. The FZ-09 manual says 108 lb. ft. with a 27mm nut size. Ours have a 33mm nut, much larger axle visually, so it sounds reasonable to be 137lb. ft.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutti FZ10 View Post
comparing my sons FZ-09 and my FZ-10, the torque at 137lb. ft. looks correct. The FZ-09 manual says 108 lb. ft. with a 27mm nut size. Ours have a 33mm nut, much larger axle visually, so it sounds reasonable to be 137lb. ft.
Yes, I'm going with the official list since if something happens using 137 I'll be covered. But I hope the nut is 32MM since that was the size of the new socket I bought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page