FZ-10 Drive Chain Service - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ-10 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:04 PM

Garage
Finished the adjustment and have to say 137 doesn't seem out of line considering there is no locking feature on the rear axle nut. But it is gorilla snug.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInWoodland View Post
Finished the adjustment and have to say 137 doesn't seem out of line considering there is no locking feature on the rear axle nut. But it is gorilla snug.
I finally got around to doing my chain adjustment for the first time on this bike, it was pretty loose. I had about 2" of play, the manual says 0.8"-1.2" roughly, so it was past time. The manual also says there should be no weight on the bike and to put it on the center stand. That's obviously not possible on our bikes. However, on the side stand, there is very little weight on the rear wheel, the shock is fully extended. If you put it on a rear wheel stand, there will be more weight on the wheel, and a slight amount of sag. this will change the adjustment slightly, though I could not see by how much. I wish I had checked it earlier, as I found the right side was adjusted a full turn further in than the left side. With careful measurements, I straightened it all out. Now the bike actually goes straight when I let go of the bars (it was always going right before).There is a locking mechanism on the axle nut, it's a thin metal ring on the outside edge of the nut that puts some pressure onto the axle. I don't know how well that actually works, but I guess Yamaha thinks it's enough. Also, 32mm nut is the same as a 1-1/4", if you have that, it will fit perfectly.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Garage
I am officially retiring my use of Chain Wax. I have used it exclusively for my street bikes, and am now going to continue using the Bel Ray Chain Lube. It does leave your chain white after application, but the fling is virtually eliminated. A must for these neon wheels!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrouspeeds View Post
I am officially retiring my use of Chain Wax. I have used it exclusively for my street bikes, and am now going to continue using the Bel Ray Chain Lube. It does leave your chain white after application, but the fling is virtually eliminated. A must for these neon wheels!
I'm trying some of the Dupont chain wax as an alternative to my other Chain Wax, haven't tried it yet but it gets rave reviews from others so we'll see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page