New Bike - First FZ-10 Experience - Yamaha FZ-10 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Yammyboy113
  • 1 Post By Clayton
  • 1 Post By Yamster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

New Bike - First FZ-10 Experience

Well, I decided to sell two bikes with the hopes of replacing them with one, a brand new 2017 FZ-10. The previous were, 02 Honda CBR 954RR & 09 Yamaha Raider S. Both are outstanding, and reliable motorcycles for the specific jobs that they were intended for. The CBR 954RR was specifically used for the fun factor. It is an impressive piece of machinery. There's plenty of power, and it's super easy to shred corners with. The Raider S was primarily used for travel purposes. Although it is a typical V-Twin, it still had over 100 ft-lbs of torque and was very reliable and stable for the week long road tours.
Although my passion lied with the 954RR, it became quite evident that my 50 year old body just isn't up to the task of riding over 150 miles per day. And although the Raider S is such a great bike, I just lost interest in it. Only rode it maybe twice per year.
Enter the FZ-10. It peaked my interest one week ago. After riding 200 miles on the 954RR last Saturday, I knew there just had to be a better option when it came to performance AND comfort.
Yesterday morning I sold the 954RR, and yesterday afternoon I traded in the Raider S.
When I walked into Mancuso Powersports in here in Houston, they had my new ride sitting right in the big isle as you enter their rather large showroom. It had a nice little sign on the seat saying, "Do not sit. This motorcycle is sold." It was the first bike people would see as they entered the building. What a beautiful sight to see.
After about 30 minutes, all of the paperwork was signed and I was ready to load her up on my Kendon one rail trailer for the haul home (50 miles away).
As I straddled her for the first start-up, she felt just right. The pegs were lower than the CBR, and the bars were higher. Almost cozy compared to my previous love. And then, I hit the start button. First thought, "HOLY CRAP, this thing sounds like a stinking sewing machine! Gotta change that!" I rode it over to the trailer and loaded her up.
After unloading her, I was able to ride her a few times around the neighborhood. Man this thing is jerky! The motor seemed a little tight. Considering that it had less than 2 miles on it, I'm hoping that the throttle smooths itself out once the bike is properly broken in. The dealership said that I shouldn't exceed 3000 rpm at any point before the first 300 miles. OMG!!! That's like telling a drug addict that he can't take a hit while in a crack house! It's just not right!
All being said and done, I'm super excited about my new steed. Aftermarket accessories, here I come!!!

Last edited by 07midnite; 03-11-2018 at 03:19 PM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Welcome aboard. I'm 61 and always liked naked sport bikes. Of course in the early 70-80s they were called standard bikes? Also sold my Raider for my FZ10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161106_112838.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	3601  
07midnite likes this.

2017 Gray & lime wheels ,luggage rack, radiator guard,Givi sport shield, 39L top case, swing arm spools,40mm lower rear pegs, Graves EVR exhaust ,K&N race filter, Graves ais ,ECU reflashed,QS,active tune, CF covers, comfort seat, Blaster X brake light, OES sliders,EBC -HH brake pads,so far.

2017 Hyundai Veloster value edition ,gas miser.

2017 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec, lots of mods.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:02 PM

My new 18 doesnít feel jerky at all. Yamaha did make fueling changes in the ecu on the 18ís.
07midnite likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
My new 18 doesnít feel jerky at all. Yamaha did make fueling changes in the ecu on the 18ís.
The bike only has 7 miles on it. Hoping the motor will loosen up a bit. It seems really tight right now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07midnite View Post
The bike only has 7 miles on it. Hoping the motor will loosen up a bit. It seems really tight right now.
if you are referring to the jerky on/off throttle control, it won't get better over time. It was REALLY bad on my bike, as well as an excessive amount of engine braking that was killing me, every time I rolled off the throttle it was like standing on the rear brake. My mechanic took care of all of this with some great throttle mapping.

FZ-10 & Ninja H2
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 PM

That’s why Yamaha changed up the tuning for 18 is my guess. I have never rode a 17 but mine is really smooth on and off the throttle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:11 PM

Yamaha should at least offer to remap the throttle for the 17 bikes since this is such an annoying problem.
Yammyboy113 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:17 PM

Congrats on the FZ.

Love to see how much this community has grown along with consistent great feedback on it.
What aftermarket accessories will you be getting for the short term and possibly long-term?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:11 AM

I have also got Fz10 recently, i am enjoying my rides, especially on a long ride, well i am looking for a trailer for my bikes i have ford truck which we use for Motorcycle Towing Service, I need a separate trailer for my bike any suggestion for me which one is good for Fz-10?

Last edited by martinbrown9889; 07-10-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page